Author Topic: Whitchurch family Aylesbury Buckinghamshire  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Whitchurch family Aylesbury Buckinghamshire
« on: Saturday 29 June 19 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all I’m just needing some help untangling my Whitchurch family ancestors.

My ancestor and 2 x G Grandmother Mary Ann Whitchurch was born in 1838 Oxfordshire to Henry and Mary Anne Whitchurch née Simmonds. That part is all pretty straight forward.  Her father however is a different matter.

Henry Whitchurch according to census records was born 1803 in Aylesbury and at some point he moved to Oxfordshire where he married and had his family.  I’m told Oxfordshire was the place to be for his occupation as cordwainer. I found a baptism for Henry Whitchurch giving his birthdate as 13/08/1803 in Aylesbury so I suspect this is him to parents John and Elizabeth Whitchurch. There seem to be at least 3 other children Thomas 1799, Eleanor 1800, and Joanna 1805.  I have a DNA match to a descendant of Eleanor and several to Henry’s other children.  I’m stuck on who Henry’s mother might be there is a marriage for a John Whitchurch to Elizabeth Redding in 1798 but that was in Islington so I’m stuck there.  Thomas born 1799 also has me stumped there is a death in 1807 for a Thomas Whitchurch in Aylesbury but I can’t be sure it’s him there are other Thomas’ in the area but I can’t sort them out. 

Also when my branch are in Oxfordshire when Henry’s daughter Susan married William Green there is a witness Sarah Whitchurch which I now think she is the illegitimate child of Joanna Henry’s sister.  And when Sarah marries George Browning, William Green is a witness although she gives her father as Samuel Whitchurch of which I can find no such person and her census records from her marriage all say she’s from Aylesbury as well.  The signature on her marriage certificate and as a witness on Susan’s look the same to me as well so I do think they are cousins.

Anyway I’m just wanting some fresh eyes on John Whitchurch as I’m stuck on him and if there are other options for who his wife Elizabeth might be ... in saying that I do have a DNA match to a person who has Mary Redding as their ancestor from Aylesbury. 

Only being able to see transcripts for Aylesbury just makes me wonder if I have it right.  My tree is on ancestry.

Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Deb

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitchurch family Aylesbury Buckinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 June 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Not got a lot but here it is

John Whitchurch buried Indep chapel Aylesbury 17 Jan 1833
Elizabeth Whitchurch 1757-4 Sep 1829

other Burials
Thomas St Mary's buried 26.7.1807
Thomas 1761-31 Dec 1835
James 1761-23 Jan 1840 workhouse
Hannah 1806-29 Oct 1829

Marriages
Sarah married James Nailor 20.4.1785
Thomas married Jane Gee 6.11.1815

The censuses give us a John born 1792 ag lab and Henry born 1793 farmer
apprenticeship John Mead to john Whitchurch master Wheelwright 1792.It turns out he was born c1758 Stoke Mandeville so can be discounted).

It's not a lot for the whole parish so I'd assume they were all related.
Is John's father the Thomas or James born 1761?
Was John born 1792 his oldest son?

There is a John Whitchurch buried at Waddesdon 8.1.1798 cordwainer
It seems John s of John Whitchurch and Elizabeth Roberts bapt there 21.6.1772 .

As for the London connextion -there is a John Whitchurch of Stoke Mandeville who marries a Rachel Flaxman there in 1792.He has a son Henry and he dies 1840 leaving a PCC Will .He is not the same man as your John and Elizabeth.
John Whitchurch  widower marries Elizabeth Redding by licence ,looking at the signature I think it is the same man who married Rachel.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 June 19 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that will take another look ... I had originally thought the John that married Rachel Flaxman was him but after looking at the will I thought not .. ok so will cross Elizabeth Redding off the list.

The deaths you have for John and Elizabeth ... could coincide around the time Henry moved to Oxfordshire.

Every clue helps just don’t want to get them all wrong.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 June 19 08:14 BST (UK) »
Oh it seems the John baptised in Wadesdon also died in 1772 so that can’t be him.

The only other thing is that Henry names one of his daughters Anstiss which there is an Anstiss Whitchurch in Stoke Mandeville so then I have to wonder are the Aylesbury and Stoke Mandeville families connected as Anstiss doesn’t seem a common name.

Might have to just leave it at John and Elizabeth unless a DNA match comes along.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 04:19 BST (UK) »
Not got a lot but here it is

John Whitchurch buried Indep chapel Aylesbury 17 Jan 1833
Elizabeth Whitchurch 1757-4 Sep 1829

other Burials
Thomas St Mary's buried 26.7.1807
Thomas 1761-31 Dec 1835
James 1761-23 Jan 1840 workhouse
Hannah 1806-29 Oct 1829

Marriages
Sarah married James Nailor 20.4.1785
Thomas married Jane Gee 6.11.1815

The censuses give us a John born 1792 ag lab and Henry born 1793 farmer
apprenticeship John Mead to john Whitchurch master Wheelwright 1792.It turns out he was born c1758 Stoke Mandeville so can be discounted).

It's not a lot for the whole parish so I'd assume they were all related.
Is John's father the Thomas or James born 1761?
Was John born 1792 his oldest son?

There is a John Whitchurch buried at Waddesdon 8.1.1798 cordwainer
It seems John s of John Whitchurch and Elizabeth Roberts bapt there 21.6.1772 .

As for the London connextion -there is a John Whitchurch of Stoke Mandeville who marries a Rachel Flaxman there in 1792.He has a son Henry and he dies 1840 leaving a PCC Will .He is not the same man as your John and Elizabeth.
John Whitchurch  widower marries Elizabeth Redding by licence ,looking at the signature I think it is the same man who married Rachel.

Ciderdrinker

I was revisiting my Whitchurch branch after a lot of DNA matches that I couldn’t quite connect the dots for

Turns out Elizabeth Redding (Reading, few different versions) had several illegitimate children before she married John Whitchurch including Mary who married a Samuel Smith (I’ve several DNA matches to her descendants) and Anstice Redding she married but that appears to have not worked out she then had several children to a Charles Green and these descendants I also match to and shared matches to the Whitchurch family ... so one wonders if John Whitchurch didn’t father all of Elizabeth’s children but couldn’t marry until his first wife died ... who ever she was, still not sure if that was Rachel Flaxman or not ... as there are two John Whitchurch’s it seems? One in Aylesbury and one in Stoke Mandeville? They sure are still giving me a headache trying to untangle which is which.

Blessings
Deb

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
Taken from BucksFHS - St Mary's, Aylesbury Transcripts CD.

If any of this fits, you can decide what is, and isn't correct for your family tree.

Baptism - 23 May 1800.   Eleanor born 21 Apr 1800 daughter of John & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH
Baptism - 7 Sep 1803.   Henry born 13 Aug 1803 son of John & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH
Baptism - 1 May 1805.   Joanna born 25 Apr 1805 daughter of John & Elizabeth WHITCHURCH

Baptism - 26 Nov 1826.  Sarah baseborn daughter of Joanna WHITCHURCH of Churchyard

Burial - 4 Sep 1829.   Elizabeth WHITCHURCH aged 72 of Aylesbury.
Burial - 20 Jan 1834.   John WHITCHURCH aged 83 of the Workhouse.

Marriage 25 May 1823.   by Banns
                       William Bernard CASTLE, Bachelor otp
                       Eleanor WHITCHURCH, Spinster otp
                       Witnesses - Joanna Whitchurch, Henry Whitchurch.

Marriage - 6 Nov 1815. by Licence
                       Thomas WHITCHURCH, Bachelor otp
                       Jane X GEE, Spinster otp
                       Witnesses Joseph Fellows Nancy Fellows 

Burial - 31 Dec 1835. Thomas WHITCHURCH aged 74 of Aylesbury
Burial - 23 Jan 1840.  Jane WHITCHURCH aged 79 of the Workhouse

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/