Author Topic: Family of Edward Burns soldier.  (Read 1490 times)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Edward Burns soldier.
« on: Saturday 29 June 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
I have a Edward Burns married to Elizabeth Downey in Portarlington in 1936.
On their marriage cert it gives Edward's address as Portobello Barracks and his profession as 'soldier', his father is named as Patrick and his profession as 'Boilermaker'.

I hope to clarify Edwards birthplace through his parents as there is a family baptismal cert giving his  name as Patrick Edward Burns, and baptismal place at  St Patricks church New Jersey USA in 1902, his d.o.b is 30th May 1902,  his parents are listed as Patrick and  Mary Leonard...his sponsors seem to be his parents, so its possible they were newly arrived in the USA ?

Its possible that Patrick snr died in the USA and Mary returned to the family home of Co Clare and remarried.

I did come across a 1911 census form for a 'boilermaker' called Patrick Burns at 24 Ballart st Ormeau Co Down with a son called Edward aged 5, but his wifeis named Sarah, this Burns family seem to be missing from the 1901 census ? I wonder had the Family been in the USA/NewJersey at the time?

If I could get details from the Free state  army records on Edwards enlistment I could possibly narrow down the search ?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Edward Burns soldier.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 June 19 01:13 BST (UK) »
I hope to clarify Edwards birthplace through his parents as there is a family baptismal cert giving his  name as Patrick Edward Burns, and baptismal place at  St Patricks church New Jersey USA in 1902, his d.o.b is 30th May 1902,  his parents are listed as Patrick and  Mary Leonard...his sponsors seem to be his parents, so its possible they were newly arrived in the USA ?

Do you meant that the parents named on the baptism certificate were Patrick Burns and Mary Burns nee Leonard? And that the sponsors were Patrick Burns and Mary Burns?
Parents were not normally sponsors. Patrick Burns and Mary Burns may have been cousins or some other relatives.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 June 19 01:37 BST (UK) »
I did come across a 1911 census form for a 'boilermaker' called Patrick Burns at 24 Ballart st Ormeau Co Down with a son called Edward aged 5, but his wifeis named Sarah, this Burns family seem to be missing from the 1901 census ? I wonder had the Family been in the USA/NewJersey at the time?

The Edward who was aged 5 on 1911 census would have been born 1905/6.
This Edward was born in Belfast as were his 7 elder siblings aged 9-25 by 1911, so it looks like the family, or at least the mother, spent most of her married life in the city. If you couldn't find the family on 1901 census, the most obvious place to look is Scotland. They might have been away a wee trip.
Did you try variants of the surname? E.g. Burnes/s, Byrne.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 June 19 02:06 BST (UK) »

This family was at House 55 Short Strand (Pottiger) Down for 1901 census. Patrick, aged 41, boilermaker in shipyard, Sarah, wife + 8 children. Daniel on 1911 is David and Mary is M. Ellen. I found them by searching for youngest child, James, aged 4.
Cowban

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 19 10:41 BST (UK) »

Do you meant that the parents named on the baptism certificate were Patrick Burns and Mary Burns nee Leonard? And that the sponsors were Patrick Burns and Mary Burns?
Parents were not normally sponsors. Patrick Burns and Mary Burns may have been cousins or some other relatives.

The cause of the confusion on my part was that the entry for him on the Baptismal cert state's Parents as 'Patrick and Mary Leonard'..opposed to what I would have been expecting on a 'Birth Cert' eg Patrick Burn's and Mary 'maiden name' Leonard.

I thought to perhaps they may have had a different process in the U.S. at the time ?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 June 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
What is the connection to County Clare that you mention for Mary Leonard Burns?

Heywood

Added
Was the baptism in Jersey City?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 June 19 15:37 BST (UK) »
The cause of the confusion on my part was that the entry for him on the Baptismal cert state's Parents as 'Patrick and Mary Leonard'..opposed to what I would have been expecting on a 'Birth Cert' eg Patrick Burn's and Mary 'maiden name' Leonard.

I thought to perhaps they may have had a different process in the U.S. at the time ?

That was common practice in Catholic baptism registers. If Latin was used in the register "conj", abbreviation for the Latin word for married couple may have been written after parents' names.
 A careless transcriber of an Irish Catholic baptism register misunderstood the format and incorrectly transcribed all children with their mothers' maiden names, making it seem that every child in the parish was illegitimate.  :o
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 June 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
I noticed that "adult" was written in the age column on Edward's marriage certificate. Do you have a source which gives his age ?
 I also noticed that "deceased" wasn't written beside his father's name on marriage certificate, so Patrick may have been alive in 1936. N.B. Information about fathers on marriage certificates wasn't always accurate or complete.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 June 19 15:53 BST (UK) »
Have you checked U.S. census for the Burns family in New Jersey? 1900-1940 are available , I think.
Cowban