Author Topic: Francis Trainer  (Read 536 times)

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Trainer
« on: Sunday 30 June 19 11:59 BST (UK) »
Francis was my 3xgt grandfather.  On the 1841 census for Maxwellton in Kirkcudbrightshire he was listed as being born in Ireland and age 50.  On 1851 census in same place he was given as age 77 also born Ireland.  He died shortly after this before civil registration.  I have tried looking at the sponsors of his children's baptisms for clues about his origination, also other Trainer's (of various spellings) who lived in the area to see if any are related or if there is a common denominator - to no avail.  Has anyone got any suggestions?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Trainer
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 June 19 12:20 BST (UK) »
I assume you are trying to find where in Ireland he came from. You can use this site to see where the name was most common in Ireland in the mid 1800s:

https://www.johngrenham.com

A lot of people from Co Down went to work in the Galloway area, so it wouldn’t be too surprising if that’s where he originated. But that’s just speculation.

A problem you face is that few parishes in Ireland have any records for someone born c 1780/1790. Tracing his birth may prove pretty challenging, and you would also need parents names to be sure of finding the right family.

Adult ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census, so that may explain a small part of the difference between 1841 & 1851. But most folk in Ireland in the 1700s & 1800s didn’t celebrate birthdays and often had little idea of their exact age. Ages on censuses and death certificates at that time were often just a guess.
Elwyn

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 June 19 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn.
I imagined that he came from either Armagh or Down, but that's not the same as knowing.  I have no idea what his parents names were either - his children to his wife Jean were - Francis, Jane, Sarah and Mary.  The difficulty with his age differences makes it all the more speculative.
Thank you.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 July 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
there is a Francis Trainor listed in the Tithes Applotment books 1823-37
see Irish Genealogy Hub’swebsite fot that civilparish
Trainor, Francis-T: Culnahaw Y: 1833-Errigal Keerogue-Tyrone

there are 4 Francis Trainers but all later in date in http://www.rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/T/TrainorTreanor.htm
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your assistance in my efforts to find his family.
I have tried all the usual search engines, also Flax Growers, Griffith Valuation, Tithe Applotment Books and even Pension recprds.  I did know of the Tyrone Trainers, but also there are Baptisms in Armagh and Roscommon.  I am aware I do not have a marriage for Francis and his wife Jean/Jane Hamilton.  I have no idea where this took place as I have searched in all of Britain and Ireland to no avail.  Jean was born in Dumbarton in Scotland, and although I know where she originated it doesn't help.
Thank you once again.