Author Topic: Powell couple  (Read 1816 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Powell couple
« on: Sunday 30 June 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a suggestion how I could trace ANY info about a couple that I have very little information about please? This is a long term search - and probably there is no answer unless someone recognises the address as being part of a family tree.

In 1958 they were travelling to Mombasa in Kenya.

Mr K Powell 
  DOB: 25/2/21 Address in UK: 128 Orange Hill Rd, Edgware; occupation Education officer

Mrs A Powell DOB: 4/7/31, Address as above; housewife

Maybe someone has the above address in the family tree?

Thanks anyway for any suggestions or help

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Powell couple
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 June 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
Just to mention - that whilst their landing was to be in Mombasa, their last permanent Residence, and their future intended residence was: Uganda.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 June 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
Does the address appear in electoral register(s)?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 June 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Ann Powell born 4.7.1931 died in Birkenhead in 1979

There are several Kenneth/Keith Powell marriages to an Ann between 1951-1958.  What was their actual travel date?

What is your connection to them?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 June 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
A male 'K' name - mostly Kenneth - some Keith - or at least likely to start "Ke".

In 1958 was registered in Hendon Sep Qtr a marriage:
K*** POWELL & A** GOULD

128 Orange Hill Road, Edgeware is in Hendon Middlesex - in 1958, it's in the Barnet Ward.

In 1958 Electoral Road at 128 Orange Hill Road, Hendon, Barnet Ward lived:
Barnet GOULD
Frances A GOULD

Barnet GOULD & Frances A MACDONALD married 1928, Marylebone

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 June 19 15:10 BST (UK) »
That would match the September qtr 1958 marriage in Hendon I found on freebmd  but wasn’t sure exactly when they travelled

There is a Gould birth in 1931 but mmn different to that of Frances
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 June 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
The travel was departing London on 15 Aug 1958  :)

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 June 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help - will print off the replies and go through them slowly when I get home.  My connection probably seems a bit crazy but I have been doing this for many years and am now in poor health so it's time to pass it on to the various twigs of the extended family. 

There is one aunt I hoped to find before I finish the searches. The last sight of her was on this boat going to Mombasa in the company of the Powell couple. At the time I asked rootschatters for help and got many suggestions - all of which I followed up gratefully and carefully  - got loads of help but without success. I don't want to repeat all the research on the aunt but there are possibly a few clues on this record. My aunt was a teacher and we believe belonged to a religious sect (but this is hearsay). A distant relative - now deceased - hinted the aunt may have been a missionary and adopted children from abroad. All this has been researched but no progress. Going through the lists of passengers on this vessel did reveal a few missionaries but no denomination given.

My aim in putting it on this forum is that I'd like to break down this annoying brick wall. More in hope than expectation but someone must recognise Grange Hill Road in Edgeware in 1958.

Finally I'd like to thank all the rootschatters who have helped me over the last dozen or so years. Thank you all. I appreciated it all.

Lesley

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 June 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
As I said, I'm very grateful for all the help rootschatters have given me over the years, but this is amazing! I have already sent for the marriage certificate you suggested and will follow up that line if the occupation of Mr Powell fits! The maiden name of the mother may not match Mrs Powell's name, but it could be her second marriage. I will post the answer when the certificate arrives. Fingers crossed and thanks again. There's an awful lot of family history in this episode!