Author Topic: Powell couple  (Read 1818 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Powell couple
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 June 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
I don’t think Mrs Powell was the daughter of Barnet & Frances but was possibly related to Barnet - perhaps an uncle??

B & F have no children redacted on the 1939 register which would be the case if Ann was their daughter
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 June 19 17:05 BST (UK) »

GRANGE Hill EDGEWARE ?     

Orange Hill, Edgware !     

NB Grange Hill ( tv school programme ) was based not far up the road at Kingsbury Grammar / High School.     

;)

Orange Hill is/was in BARNET, coincidence? or not?   ;D

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 June 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
Mrs Powell's parents were Eden William Gould & Kathleen Hewlett who married in 1930

Eden W was the son of Eden Gould and Harriet Lucy Cook who married 1902.  Barnet Gould's father was Jacob Gould
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 June 19 21:35 BST (UK) »

GRANGE Hill EDGEWARE ?     

Orange Hill, Edgware !     

NB Grange Hill ( tv school programme ) was based not far up the road at Kingsbury Grammar / High School.     

;)
Sorry - my typing skills are not helped by cataracts - G and O are difficult to separate!! Sorry again - but the new suggestions are valuable - I'll wait till I see the certificate I ordered, and see if I can get further. May be a red herring and my aunt and Powells may not be connected. Will report back in a couple of weeks when I know more. More thanks to all
Orange Hill is/was in BARNET, coincidence? or not?   ;D

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 July 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
marriage certificate arrived this morning. To sum up the problem. I didn't know my father's family (I was born in WW2) and most are now dead and/or childless. My quest is to find the one missing aunt who has remained a mystery. I tracked this one aunt from her birth up to the 1939 register where she was living in Brighton and working as a teacher. I don't need any information before 1939 - she was still unmarried at that time.

I am looking for information after the 1950s. In 1958 she was on a ship travelling to Mombasa/Kenya. She never appeared in any records after this. I only met my father and her sisters in the 1970s - just once - when this aunt Phyllis was never mentioned and the rest of the family have now died. One clue - that may be important or just a red herring - is that on the passenger list Phyllis (still single) seems to be travelling with the Powell couple. Their info from the marriage cert is as follows:

Kenneth Powell married Ann Gould on 9/8/1958 (so was the trip the honeymoon?) He was 37 and divorced, an education officer of 126 Orange Hill Rd, Burnt Oak. His father was James Joseph Powell an insurance manager.

Ann Gould aged 27, a radiographer of the same address, father Barnet Gould a toolmaker. They were married in Hendon Register Office.

My puzzle is that there were quite a few missionaries on this trip - and my aunts were all religious so it's quite possible she was going to Africa as a missionary. As she doesn't appear in return passenger lists she may have stayed abroad. Or married and thus changer her surname.

It would be a great help if anyone recognises the Powell couple and could confirm the suggestion that they were missionaries. It would be a help if I could exclude the Powells from my search - although Phyllis doesn't seem to be travelling with anybody else. Another clue that I didn't pick up on at the time was a remark about Phyllis adoping some children = unfortunately at the time i had such a short time with the aunts and never saw them again so I have no-one to check whether this was true.

As I say i have all the info i need up to 1958 but any information about the Powell couple or missionary trips to Mombasa may be the trigger I need.

Take my advice - those of you just starting your research - ASK all the questions you can while there are still people alive who can answer them!!!

But thanks to you all for all the help you have provided over the years.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
 :(

Looked at the ship's register.     

I don't believe that the Powell couple are (necessarily) travelling with Phyllis.     

I think that the part of the register mentioned is in alphabetic sequence, for a number of pages.     

Phyllis has an Essex address, the Powells do not.     
Phyllis "adopting" children could also be just that she "sponsored" individual children or even (eg) school(s) / village(s).     
The logged permanent destination of "Kenya" and NOT (Powell's) "Mombasa".     

I can be persuaded differently . . . . .     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:00 BST (UK) »
Ray
Thanks for your help - I did say I was clutching at straws. I thought I'd given up with this brick wall but would have one last go at it! Sometimes the most unlikely answers come from nowhere! Maybe someone will read the thread and come up with something I hadn't thought about or with information I don't have at the moment. But very grateful for all the interest and help you have given me.
Lesley

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 July 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley     

Both the couple and Phyllis mention that their eventual permanent residence would be "Mombasa" and "Kenya" respectively.     
Whether they are all travelling together, or not.     
( They may of course have come back to Blighty )     

How old were the Powells on their MarrCert?

Ray

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 July 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
Looking at the parents of the Powell couple it appears that the wife was descended from Russian  parents. I'm even more confused than ever!