Author Topic: DNA Results In! :-o  (Read 3406 times)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Results In! :-o
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
I was assuming you were building your tree on Ancestry since you were using AncestryDNA. Have you connected your DNA result to you in your tree?

Thanks, I do not have any connection with Ancestry apart from the DNA kit & a basic log-in; I used FindMyPast for searches. Is it a good idea to have a tree on Ancestry, how do you begin with that please?
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:03 BST (UK) »
I think you have to read up more about DNA testing, evaluating results, getting the best out of your results, etc, elsewhere. Read a lot, work with your matches, get to know how things work, don't concentrate on just one or two surnames.

Lots of links with information for beginners and experienced DNA users in the first thread on this board.

For how to start a tree, be advised by Ancestry. Start with yourself and build backwards or import a gedcom from wherever you have your information on your computer, if you have any.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/pt/StartPed.aspx

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/pt/UploadFile.aspx

Without an attached tree to your DNA results you aren't helping anybody else to connect with you, and you can't take advantage of either Thrulines or Common Ancestor hints.

I'll bow out of this thread for the moment.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret, I do not know what a gedcom is, am right at the very beginning - those links are helpful :)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
Have taken a trial Ancestry membership & discovered at least three other members - who are not known to me - share my paternal family tree :-o

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I do not have any connection with Ancestry apart from the DNA kit & a basic log-in; I used FindMyPast for searches. Is it a good idea to have a tree on Ancestry, how do you begin with that please?

You can build a tree on Ancestry with just a basic account without a subscription. However, if you want to view the trees of your matches or view records you will need to subscribe.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 23:45 BST (UK) »

You can build a tree on Ancestry with just a basic account without a subscription. However, if you want to view the trees of your matches or view records you will need to subscribe.

Thanks. Am into the 2 week trial period. I noticed a member tree with part of my paternal family tree on it, but when I went back to it, it had disappeared. It did not reappear when I entered the details in the search box which had triggered it previously. Does this mean the trial period is limited in some way please?

I can see the sense of doing this through Ancestry, it is 'joined up' so to speak. I have a vast amount of family history to tie together, I just couldn't do it on A3 sheets, it stretches all over the place. Hopefully Ancestry will also make suggested links between names & dates that I would not have seen / had the data for?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 00:26 BST (UK) »
Try reading the help pages on Ancestry. Look at videos on Ancestry Academy and youtube videos by Crista Cowan. These will help you to learn how you can use it effectively.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 01:48 BST (UK) »
Try reading the help pages on Ancestry. Look at videos on Ancestry Academy and youtube videos by Crista Cowan. These will help you to learn how you can use it effectively.

Thanks. I've started uploading my tree on Ancestry & have found others have linked to people I have researched, I do hope information can be shared. I have anecdotes about family members I can share for posterity.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, you can share information. However, be careful about relying on information in other trees. Some people are diligent researchers and source their finds appropriately. Some just pluck the first instance of a name that they see and set off climbing the wrong branch. Always check sources.