Author Topic: Harry James Vernon  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry James Vernon
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
Yes I wondered that but cannot find a birth for him either! There are Vernons in Islington at the time..just trying to find a connection.
My Grandfather was a bit of a mystery.He met and (supposedly married- I cannot find a record) my Grandmother and had my Father a year later.He left them when my Father was 6 years old.About twelve years ago we discovered that he was married previously and had son & had again left without trace when this child was six.
He talked very little of his early life other than being based in Islington,having TB as a young child,having much older sisters that he didn't know very well & a father in his sixties who was musical & in the piano business.He hinted that there had been money in his younger years.He had a large circle of musical/theatrical friends & evening soirees!
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
FULHAM CHRONICLE 11 Dec 1942        Harry James Vernon - see below

HARRY STANTIFORD THOMPSON

All persons having any claim against the Estate of Harry Stantiford Thompson, otherwise Harry James Vernon, Harry Ashcroft, Henry Redaile(?) Gordon late of 40 Grosvenor Road Chiswick who died 8 Feb 1942 and who...….(goes on to name the relevant bank etc.)

I have found reference to the death of Henry S Thompson age 64 in Brentford in 1Q 1942.

Also Harry Stantiford Thompson married either Kate Florence Peters or Clara Darlow in Croydon 3Q 1907.

Not sure what 'otherwise' in the above means - did he use a lot of aliases?? - lots of 'Harry's'!!!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
There is a musical George Vernon b Islington and living in Hackney.
He seems to remain single through censuses, although I haven't found him in 1891.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q279-K784

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9HR-ZGN

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWGW-YMF

Possible death in Hackney, 1940.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVH1-P11N
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
zetlander..yes we came across that Harry in a previous thread but dates dont tally up as my Grandfather was born to Harry James & Sarah Amy Cook in 1907 and my Grandfather said his father was in his sixties,much older than his mother.
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Heywood..this is interesting-thankyou! George is a pianoforte maker.His father is William.
There was a William Vernon piano forte makers I spoke of in a previous post.

Hmmmmmm...now where does it all join up????? ???
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:17 BST (UK) »
Have found Harry James Vernon in 1906 living in two rooms at 204 Great College St ,St Pancras- a W.Clarke lives here too- this is a year before my Granfather is born in 1907 ...so it seems to me George Edwin Bolton didn't suddenly turn into Harry James when my Grandfather was born...hmmmm
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Isn't it a shame that the electoral rolls don't give an age,it'd make life so much easier!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
I know..wouldn't it just!
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Really struggling to trace my paternal Grandfather's parentage.My Grandfather , Harry George William Vernon was born 11 February 1907 to a Harry James Vernon ( pianoforte fitter-up) & Sarah Amy Vernon (formerly Cook).20 Manor Gardens Islington.
My Grandfather spoke very little about his childhood but stated that he had  much older sisters & that his father was in his sixties when he was born.
It appears Sarah Amy was married previously & had 6 children.Three were stated living in the 1911 census.Living with her were Emma 18, Nellie 13 & my Grandfather Harry aged 5.

On the 1909 Electoral Rolls on Ancestry there is a Harry James Vernon at 20 Manor Gardens Islington,the landlord is William Sangster........and yet Harry is not there by 1911 when the census was taken. Amy is down as wife in 1911 though,not head of the household,so hubby can't have gone too far away?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk