Author Topic: Harry James Vernon  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harry James Vernon
« on: Monday 01 July 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
Really struggling to trace my paternal Grandfather's parentage.My Grandfather , Harry George William Vernon was born 11 February 1907 to a Harry James Vernon ( pianoforte fitter-up) & Sarah Amy Vernon (formerly Cook).20 Manor Gardens Islington.
My Grandfather spoke very little about his childhood but stated that he had  much older sisters & that his father was in his sixties when he was born.
It appears Sarah Amy was married previously & had 6 children.Three were stated living in the 1911 census.Living with her were Emma 18, Nellie 13 & my Grandfather Harry aged 5.It appears Sarah Amy was married to a George Edwin Bolton in 1887 & the girls were his.
I cannot find evidence of divorce or death for George Edwin Bolton or birth/marriage/death for Harry James Vernon.
I cannot find trace of my Grandfather after the age of five until he marries in his twenties.
I note another RootsChat member doing a similar search a year ago & have added a message to thread but not sure if she still uses the site.
I would so dearly love to understand what happened & why Harry James Vernon is so elusive!
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Harry James Vernon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 19 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

Tracy L was last online in April 2018,but as long as she hasn't changed her email address will be notified that you have posted on her thread and hopefully come back with a reply for you.

This is the original thread incase anyone wants to make a start looking at what has already been found. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=638689.msg6761342#msg6761342

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, thank you so much  :)
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 July 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
To summarise the family (previous thread link posted by carol8353) and add detail:

Harry G W VERNON born Mar qtr 1907 Islington vol 1b p189 (11 Feb).  Parents Harry James VERNON and Sarah Amy VERNON (formerly COOK)

Sarah Amy COOK married George Edwin BOLTON Dec qtr 1887 Islington vol 1b p461
BOLTON/COOK children (as per GRO index):
Amy Elizabeth Mar qtr 1888 Holborn vol 1b p802 (bapt 1893)
Maud Alice Dec qtr 1889 Holborn vol 1b p760 d Jun qtr 1890 Holborn age 0
Mary Emma Sep qtr 1891 Shoreditch vol 1c p87 (bapt 1892 d Mar qtr 1892 Holborn age 0
Emma Ethel Sep qtr 1893 Holborn vol 1b p675 (bapt 1893)
Edwin William Dec qtr 1894 Holborn vol 1b p723 d Mar qtr 1895 age 0
Jennie Alice Jun qtr 1896 Holborn vol 1b p736 d Sep qtr 1896 Holborn age 0
Nellie Maud Mar qtr 1898 Holborn vol 1b p746
Henry James Jun qtr 1899 Holborn vol 1b p768 ?d Sep qtr 1899 Pancras age 0
(NOTE: the entries in italics are confirmed by baptism records or censuses, the others are "probables" as the parents' first names are not known)

Two children appear on censuses with grandparents William & Elizabeth COOK - 1891: Amy (3), 1901: Amy (13) and Nellie (3)

The 1911 census shows Amy VERNON (presumably Sarah Amy) age 43 born Birmingham together with Emma age 18, Nellie age 13, and Harry age 5.  They are in the household of Alfred GROSCH, 49, head, housepainter, born Barnesbury.

This gives a probable birth for Sarah Amy COOK, Mar qtr 1888 Aston vol 6d p620 mmn NEWBOULD

Harry James VERNON was described on son Harry's birth certificate as a "pianoforte fitter-up" but has not yet been found on censuses.

The main unanswered questions seem to be:
Did Sarah Amy COOK/VERNON marry Harry James VERNON?
Can Sarah Amy and a spouse be found on the 1891 and 1901 censuses?
Can Harry James VERNON be found on any census?  An age and birthplace are essential to trace his parentage.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 July 19 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip, thank you for your help.
My Grandfather talked to my father about a piano businesses and musical soirees in the evenings.In the previous thread a Harry James Vernon appears to be linked to a number of different alias' but it seems unlikely that this is the same man as My Grandfather's father was in his sixties in 1907 when he was born .
1909 is the earliest record I can unearth of him living in 20 Manor Gardens Islington & 1929 the last record.Before and after these times he vanishes.Very frustrating!
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 July 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
The Sarah Amy Cook and George Edwin Bolton marriage is on Ancestry- it was at St John The Baptist Islington on 2nd Oct 1887.

Sarah age 20 a spinster of 29 Orchard Street father Wiliam Henry Cook scale maker.
George also 20 bach,confectioner also of 20 Orchard Street father George William Bolton engineer.

Witnesses...Henry Garrett and Amy Garrett.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clairekellet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Yes,Sarah Amy is reasonably easy to trace -it's Harry James that is so difficult.Did George Edwin Bolton Die or did they divorce? Did Sarah Amy ever marry Harry James Vernon..at one point all the family are listed as Vernons including the older girls-my Grandfather's step sisters.
My Grandfather told my father that we were from the Haddon Hall Vernon line & related to Admiral Edward Vernon.
I have tried working from that side to try & meet in the middle somewhere but with no joy :(
Nobody on Ancestry seems to have my Grandfather or his Father on their trees.It's so odd and perplexing.
I need a major break through!
Vernon
Jepps
Kellett

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:32 BST (UK) »
When and where did Sarah Amy die?
Who was the informant of her death?
Was there a will or published obituary?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
Oh I had forgotten about this mystery man!  Let's hope we can get further with him than we did in 2013.

Welcome from me too :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)