Author Topic: Top 10 Sins of a Genealogist  (Read 2230 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Top 10 Sins of a Genealogist
« on: Monday 01 July 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
I wrote this as a kind of "wise after the event" blog, after actually committing all these sins myself when I first started!!

How many have you committed!

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/how-to-guides/expert-blogs/the-top-ten-sins-of-a-genealogist

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Sins of a Genealogist
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
Interesting, and thought provoking.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
I think in our early days of researching we all made mistakes of some kind. You learn by experience.

Liked your blog  :)

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
I think it's pretty harsh to describe #7 and #8 as 'Sins' :(

I happen to live in Australia and have only managed to visit the records office for my home county on one occasion.  There are thousands of us doing our best from a great distance, let alone the thousands more who may live nearby but can't go trotting off whenever they feel like it, because of transport or mobility issues.

Would you consider modifying those two items?  Adding the simple phrase 'if possible'?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 July 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
I was expecting Sin #1 to be "boring people to death with family history anecdotes".
You know, when you see people's eyes glazing over.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 July 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol for your feedback and I’m sure I can amend the blog to reflect “where possible”, as you suggested. Leave it with me I will see what I can do

I think it's pretty harsh to describe #7 and #8 as 'Sins' :(

I happen to live in Australia and have only managed to visit the records office for my home county on one occasion.  There are thousands of us doing our best from a great distance, let alone the thousands more who may live nearby but can't go trotting off whenever they feel like it, because of transport or mobility issues.

Would you consider modifying those two items?  Adding the simple phrase 'if possible'?

Carol

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 July 19 20:00 BST (UK) »
Very true, I am definitely guilty of that one.

I’m the guy everyone avoids at parties!

I was expecting Sin #1 to be "boring people to death with family history anecdotes".
You know, when you see people's eyes glazing over.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 01:09 BST (UK) »
I don't think "boring" people is a genealogical sin, especially if they have asked a question. More so it's a sin that more members of the family aren't interested.  ::)
I'm probably guilty of most of the list, especially when I started out back in the 80's. I have done transcribing, and headstone recording though.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
Apart from Sin#2, I think  I have managed to avoid pretty much all if them, and not because I consider myself in anyway perfect, I have certainly made mistakes. 

When I first set out on my journey of research, there was no such thing as computers or the Internet.  I took a course of evening classes in the subject, this proved invaluable. I also joined the Family History Society in each county I knew the family had connections. Most research meant a lot of letter writing, visits to Record Offices and trips to London to search the GRO Index etc.

Now, owing to mobility issues,  I am very grateful for the amount of information that is growing on line.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.