Author Topic: Top 10 Sins of a Genealogist  (Read 2235 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Sins of a Genealogist
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
I think this is a very interesting and thought provoking blog...

I agree with CarolA3 regarding the point that there are thousands no doubt who are trying to do their best from a distance and so this can't be classed as a 'sin'.  I am very fortunate in that I happen to be in an area that the majority of my ancestors settled in so it is easier for me to visit local archives and libraries to find family records. 

However, it is not possible for me timewise or financially to swan off around other places in the country or even abroad to places like America where some of my ancestors went so it is great that we have the internet these days and forums like RootsChat to obtain help.

If it is possible to walk in the footsteps of our ancestors - I would definitely recommend this too.  A couple of years or so ago, I went to visit the Half Moon pub in Durham which my Ancestor Edward Senior was publican in the early to mid 1800s - this was fascinating to look around and to see where they actually lived.  The staff said it was alright for me to take photos too. 

Personally, I think chatting about genealogy is a virtue rather than a 'sin' ;D ;); however, I know there are a number of very strange people out there who would disagree and likely find this boring.  ::) I suppose I can understand - I have no interest in football or fishing for example - and if others started talking about these hobbies I would likely find this boring.    I am one of those people who is very interested in how I got here - what paths were walked to get us here, etc.  So not easy to fathom why others might have no interest - but each to their own. ::) ;)

I also strongly agree with helping others.  I think there could be a blog in itself on how people can go about doing this.   For example putting postems on freebmd entries is an easy way to share what knowledge/records you have.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
Sin #9.

I wasn't rigid about names, but I realise now that some of my Scottish forebears didn't spell their surname the same way out here as they did back home (assuming the were literate - I think they were). 

I've had FAR more success tracing one line since realising our ancestor who emigrated as McEwen was baptised as McQuien and his siblings (baptised with a variety of spellings) were McEwan in adulthood.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass - I am so pleased that you mentioned Roots Chat.

I have recently had some amazing help on our New Zealand Board about ancestors who went out there in 1912. The information has been passed on to a young family member who wants to visit there in the future. Sadly my days of travelling that far are over.

Last week on another forum - dare I mention facebook - a lady made contact with me about some names I had mentioned. It turns out we are 2nd cousins and are going to meet up soon and exchange information and family scandal ;)

Really,  every tool is useful if it is used properly.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
Number 11 should be to remember to have a big folder for all the documents that you download and don't immediately give a suitable file name too.

Martin

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Slight alteration to the original text as suggested,

Thanks
Paul

I think it's pretty harsh to describe #7 and #8 as 'Sins' :(

I happen to live in Australia and have only managed to visit the records office for my home county on one occasion.  There are thousands of us doing our best from a great distance, let alone the thousands more who may live nearby but can't go trotting off whenever they feel like it, because of transport or mobility issues.

Would you consider modifying those two items?  Adding the simple phrase 'if possible'?

Carol
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul for taking the time to add the words 'if you can' to #7 and #8.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Always happy to help Carol, like every aspect of life it’s about inclusiveness and feeling a part of things.

Family history is for everyone, no matter, age, ability etc, after all “it’s your family history” and how you choose to pursue your hobby is as entirely individual as we all are.

Thanks Paul for taking the time to add the words 'if you can' to #7 and #8.

Carol
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
I think it's pretty harsh to describe #7 and #8 as 'Sins' :(

I happen to live in Australia and have only managed to visit the records office for my home county on one occasion.  There are thousands of us doing our best from a great distance, let alone the thousands more who may live nearby but can't go trotting off whenever they feel like it, because of transport or mobility issues.

Would you consider modifying those two items?  Adding the simple phrase 'if possible'?

Carol

Got to agree with that.  I live thousands of miles from any place ever inhabited by one of my ancestors.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
As the years (correction) months go by it gets easier and easier to do genealogy by computer. Even the Genealogical Library in Salt Lake City does not seem to be as busy as it was years ago. One thing I missed when I lived in the County south of Newcastle-upon Tyne, which still has it own name and not one of those newfangled names, is the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel. Never even heard of it. As the Americans say I must have been asleep at the switch. I can proudly say that I am bilingual. American and English. Not fluent in Australian but I could get by.