Author Topic: George Mitchell  (Read 866 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Mitchell
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 06:41 BST (UK) »
Christine L Echols, when applying for Social Security, said her parents were Abbie G Thompson and Ola L Echols. Abbie also went by her middle name Gale and may have died as Gail Echols 2 April 1991 in North Las Vegas, NV.

Ancestry.com links that death to an obituary as Abbie Thompson in The Oklahoman on 22 October 1991. (I don't understand the time lapse, or maybe it is a different person, and ancestry.com is wrong)

-----
Gale, 23,  and Ola L, 34, Echols were in Las Vegas in 1940, but had been in Riverside in 1935. (1940 Census)

They got a license to marry  in Yuma Arizona on 15 January 1933.
-----

I think the 1940 census enumerator may have heard "Dolly" and written down "Billy".
George and Dolly are in the 1937 Riverside Directory:
George (and Dolly) Mitchell, blacksmith, at 3912 6th

and in 1934 at 4411 Jurupa Avenue

-----
I can't find Dolly anywhere else. She isn't:
Grace Dolly Mitchell, d 23 December 1985, wife of Henry, buried in Orange County

Dolly V Mitchell, d 26 July 1911, b 1911 (too late), wife of Sgt James M Mitchell, in Riverside National Cemetery

Dolly might have been Abbie Gail Thompson's sister and raised her children when Abbie's marriage broke up, but I'm just guessing. Abbie's information said she was born in Texas in about 1906. I didn't find Dolly's death, but she easily could have remarried, especially if she was caring for those children.

-------
here is George's son George on his own in Traverse County, Minnesota, in 1930

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3DT-PJ7

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
Well I am flabbergasted, to my 72 yr.old head, I have done quite a lot of searching, for family first time in the U.S. I am so thankful to all who have answered so far and wish to express my deep appreciation for your sterling efforts, more especially so quickly.

Many thanks to all present and future contributors.

From a cold damp Scotland.
unknownmale.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:33 BST (UK) »
Dolly might have been Abbie Gail Thompson's sister and raised her children when Abbie's marriage broke up, but I'm just guessing.

It doesn't look like Dolly () Mitchell was Abbie's sister. There is a tree on Ancestry.com that includes Abbie Alma "Gail" Thompson, and it does not list a sister Dollie or any sister old enough to match Dolly/Billy () Mitchell's age on the 1940 census.

this is Abbie's family in 1920. Her mother is too young to have a child in 1898.

1920 Census, Bradley, Grady Co., Oklahoma
Jan 1, 1920

William Thompson, 33, born in Texas
Burley Thompson, 30, Arkansas
William, 12, Oklahoma
Clyde, 8, Texas
Coleman, 6, Texas
Thula, 4y 3m, Texas
Abbie Thompson, 2y 2m, born in Texas

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJM6-ZWY

-----------
I'm not finding Dolly anywhere that hasn't been mentioned. There are some George MItchell marriages in southern California in the right time frame, but none to a wife named Dolly, Dorothy, or Billy. So it is impossible to tell which one, if any, is the right one. And none in Riverside county anyway, if I remember right.

I looked for possible re-marriages also, and didn't find anything I could say was her for sure.

-------
Glad to help, from a hot, humid Rhode Island