Author Topic: Peter Alan Weston Stevens - Military Career?  (Read 95 times)

Offline AndreaWil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Alan Weston Stevens - Military Career?
« on: Tuesday 02 July 19 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have another thread on my Gran's cousin over on the beginners board with some background / additional information here:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=814989.0

In summary, I can't find nay record of Peter from his birth until his death was announced in the 1951 Probate Calendar.

His death was reported as occurring in Tripolitania, Tripoli, Libya so I wonder whether he might have been there in a military capacity.  I can't find any records of him in military service on any of my searches in Ancestry or Findmypast so I'm not having much luck.

Someone has helpfully suggested that I apply to MoD for any service records but without a death certificate I can't start this process.  I'm hoping that the probate records might suffice but would this mean, given that I don't know which area he might have served in, applying separately to Army, Navy etc?

Does anyone have any other suggestions about how I might go about finding out whether he was in Libya with the military?  I'm quite baffled.

Thanks,
Andrea

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Alan Weston Stevens - Military Career?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
I am on the other thread and thought it worth highlighting to anyone joining the search here that his last address is known: 5 Via G. Ugolini, Tripoli.

Personally I think a direct military angle seems unlikely given the vagueness of detail on the 1951 intestate administration concerning his death “on or since 3 December 1948 in a place unknown” - surely the military would know where their people were?  But since he is such a mystery it is no doubt worth pursuing every avenue, given that the area was under British military administration at the relevant time.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.