Author Topic: 28th foot, Richard Andrews  (Read 81 times)

Online NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
28th foot, Richard Andrews
« on: Tuesday 02 July 19 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My Gt Gt Gt Grandfather was in the army. That is the one undisputed fact. I have recently unearthed a newspaper article where his daughter Sarah was getting a letter from the King due to all her sons serving etc etc. In it she says Ď my father Richard was in the 28th foot and was at the battle of Waterloo. He was born around 1790 ish and died around 1847 in Plymouth.
He isnít in the Waterloo medal roll.
The only service record for a Richard Andrews that somewhat fits,(he may be from Devon they all lived in Plymouth),has correct regiments 28th and 3rd Veterans, but this man left the army in 1814, but lingered on and rejoins as a servant in Ireland,so no Waterloo connection. There is also no Peninsular war record on his discharge papers.,so we have no further knowledge .
Any advice would be great. Thanks
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 28th foot, Richard Andrews
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
The muster book for the 28th Foot at the National Archives would have entries for him so worth checking (or asking someone to check) the 1814/1815 time frame.  List here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C150231

MaxD

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Re: 28th foot, Richard Andrews
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max, yes we did that it was very helpful
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford