Author Topic: Related twice by marriage  (Read 896 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Related twice by marriage
« on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
My husband and I are related by marriage - well of course we are - our own! But we've just found we're related twice by marriage.

My husband recently had his DNA results back and shared his results with me. I was looking through his 4th cousin or closer matches, only looking in detail at those who had large trees, when I saw a name I instantly recognised - an unusual combination of mother's surname (used as middle name) and surname. In fact I though I had clicked something which made Ancestry revert back to trees of my matches. But no. My husband's matches were still displayed. So it looks like my husband's fourth or fifth cousin (not solved that yet but from locations looks like her paternal line) married my fifth cousin. This lady would be my 5th C 1R, but I don't show as a match with her, but I do have quite a strong match with her 2C1R / 3C1R (two relationships due to cousin marriage), who is also my 5th cousin.

Such a strange co-incidence because my husband's family are from Suffolk and Essex and my family are from Berks/ Oxon/ Hants/ Yorks/ Sussex and Jersey (CI) - in fact my lot seem to have avoided east Anglia like there was a wall round it!

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

guest189040

Re: Related twice by marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
John, Thomas and James Stanley were all Brothers.

They are all the many times Great Grandfather of my Wife.

Ancestral lines add interest and a lot of head scratching.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
- in fact my lot seem to have avoided east Anglia like there was a wall round it!

Shhhh! Don't tell Donald Trump!  ;D ;D ;D

I haven't found a common ancestor for two lines of my lineage, but I do have a nice little tangle:
1929 Joan's son Jeremy was born.
1943 Joan married Winston.
1967 Jeremy married Angela.
1970 Joan died.
1971 Jeremy died.
1972 Winston married Angela.
Jeremy was my father.  So Angela was my stepmother.  She then became my step-grandfather's wife.  Hmmmmmm.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 02:06 BST (UK) »
- in fact my lot seem to have avoided east Anglia like there was a wall round it!

Shhhh! Don't tell Donald Trump!  ;D ;D ;D

I haven't found a common ancestor for two lines of my lineage, but I do have a nice little tangle:
1929 Joan's son Jeremy was born.
1943 Joan married Winston.
1967 Jeremy married Angela.
1970 Joan died.
1971 Jeremy died.
1972 Winston married Angela.
Jeremy was my father.  So Angela was my stepmother.  She then became my step-grandfather's wife.  Hmmmmmm.
Is that your ancestry, Philip, or the script of a soapie?  ;D

I discovered that my parents-in-law were 4th cousins. They told me to stop looking after that!
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 08:49 BST (UK) »
My husband's great uncle Horace was married to my 2c2r Madge, she was also my late father in laws godmother.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk