Author Topic: Deciphering of Street Name in Stanley, Yorks please  (Read 138 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Deciphering of Street Name in Stanley, Yorks please
« on: Tuesday 02 July 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to decipher a street name in Stanley, Yorkshire on the 1861 census. The family I am researching are not in Stanley in 1851 or 1871.

This 'street' runs over several pages and variously looks like;
Bottom Boat
Bolton Road
Bilton Road
Bottom Road etc etc

If anyone with better eyesight than I have can make it out, I would really appreciate it. To be honest I'd never even heard of Stanley, Yorks before.

Many, many thanks for looking.
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Ireland ------Cleary, Whelan - Nenagh.
Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering of Street Name in Stanley, Yorks please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering of Street Name in Stanley, Yorks please. COMPLETED THANK YOU
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
You absolute stars! Thank you SO much for your speedy replies.

The website links are really useful also -- mention miners and the person I am researching was a Miner.

The websites add great background information -- I hadn't thought anything could be called Bottom Boat, even though it looked a possibility.

Many thanks again.

xx
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering of Street Name in Stanley, Yorks please
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Old map of the area 1840's  might be of interest https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345004#zoom=5&lat=4184&lon=13041&layers=BT

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering of Street Name in Stanley, Yorks please COMPLETED THANK YOU
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Kay -- that is really helpful. xx

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath