Author Topic: How old is this house?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: How old is this house?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
from:- http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Manister/textManister.htm

Holy Wells

Danaher records the presence of a well, in the townland of Knocknagranshee, called Toberlaghteen. This well is on the lands of Martin Molony. No devotions have taken place here in a number of years and the well has dried up. Devotions were held on March 19th in the past. The well was enclosed with a wall and roof over it. Danaher states that he found an inscription on the wall that read "This was erected by James Keating in ye year of our Lord 1791 that lived in Grangehill. Pray for him".
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 July 19 07:51 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, thanks for the feedback - I can't find any mention of a local history group in Croom or Fedamore.

Sinann, that was my thought about the bricks too. I remembered as a child here in Australia, living in a house built of convict bricks, which dated from the early 19th century.
I hadn't noticed the stone at the base - zooming in is a bit tricky, isn't it!

hallmark, what a lovely old farmhouse! It seems the design was a popular one, with the central door flanked by windows.

Andrew, yes, that's the place. The James Keating who erected the well was my 4g grandfather. The property was passed down from James Keating to his son Jeffrey Keating, then to Jeffrey's daughter Ellen Keating (she died 1895), then to Ellen's grandniece, Anne Keating who married James Lane. I'm interested to find out if any of my Keatings built the house, or if it dates to the time the Lanes were living there (in 1901 I know they were).
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 July 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 July 19 10:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, the baptisms etc are in Fedamore, the civil registrations in Croom.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk