Author Topic: GILBERT to Canada circa 1840  (Read 1473 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GILBERT to Canada circa 1840
« on: Wednesday 03 July 19 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
My GGGrand father George Gilbert went to Canada circa 1840.
He was domiciled as Farm Labourer and moved around the Bristol area in Gloucestershire and Somerset.
My search to find clues on his trip have been fruitless.
So i seek someone who has played in the field of British/Canadian migration to help me.
PS> He returned to Shirehampton England because in was too cold [family legend].
He and his children then went to Australia circa 1858 to begin a new chapter.
To add to the story i am a very closed match by DNA to an UNKNOWN Gilbert in Canada.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: GILBERT TO CANADA CIRCA 1840
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 09:33 BST (UK) »

There are no comprehensive lists of immigrants arriving in Canada prior to 1865. Until that year, shipping companies were not required by the government to keep their passenger manifests.
You didn't say how old your George Gilbert was or where he might have gone in Canada ?

No results here - https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/immigrants-before-1865/Pages/search.aspx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
He returned to Shirehampton England because in was too cold [

Have you got him on the 1851 census in England?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra and Millipede,
George Thomas Gilbert was born in Shirehampton in 1806.
First wife Elizabeth Gilbert [nee Ford] was born 1811 and their two children Emily b.1838] and William[b.1839] . Somewhere between 1842 and 1844 is his estimated sojourn to Canada. He is back in Shirehampton in the 1851 census with new wife Elizabeth Gilbert [nee Cox] and two new children.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:08 BST (UK) »
So do you believe he had a child in Canada you are related to? 

I see the 1851 children were born in England.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Millipede,
 i am part of a DNA group that has a Very Very close match to a Canadian match. This information has only just come to light. George Gilbert known kids were all born in Gloucestershire or Somerset. It is possible that he fathered a child whilst in Canada. I have been unsuccessful previously in my search - the new lead has pushed me to have another crack at it - thus my plee. Apart from the family legend that he went to Canada and returned because of the cold - anything else is speculative.
George Gilbert was known as an agricultural Labourer and possibly itinerant, as illustrated by the birth pattern of his kids. So looking at the movement of workers from Gloucstershire and/or Somerset to Canada. Maybe a ships crew as Shirehampton is near Bristol harbour or maybe an immigration group from Gloucestershire and Somerset.

cheers
Jack Gee

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 July 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
So when did his first wife die?  Was she not in Canada with him and the older children  ???

Or you think he went on his own and left them behind, if so are they on the 1841 census in England without him.  Sorry for my confusion. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 July 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
Milliepede, your not the only one confused. Sadly i don't have access to the 1841 Shirehampton Census and i have never seen a copy. In the 1851 Census the Son William is with his Uncle. I would suggest  that he went to Canada between wives.

Cheers
Jack Gee

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GILBERT to Canada circa 1840
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Troops, just an update. I found a George Gilbert in the 1842 East Canada cenus in La Malbaie, Saguenay,Quebec. No guarabtee that it is the previously mentioned George Gilbert. But a possibility. All clues to seek further information welcome.

Cheers
Jack Gee