Author Topic: GILBERT to Canada circa 1840  (Read 1472 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GILBERT to Canada circa 1840
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 October 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
Did you ever find him 1841 as I have just came across this looking at his occupation and if I have the right William 1851 with a relative with the same surname

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7MN-16H

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 October 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
many thanks Wilsy, thats our man.
So we know when he went to Canada. After the English Census 1841. The name is right for the 1842  East Canadian census - but the scenario does not quite site.
Deep in French Canada and a large family unit.
cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 October 20 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack
Sorry to burst your hopes on the 1842 census, but page 2 states all members of his family were native Canadians of French origin.  (Most people don't realize there is a page 2!)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 October 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks BBart,
for the heads up.
No bubble burst - just excited that i found a George in Canada in his time of absence from England.
Will keep looking for George probaly a bit further north in New Foundland ans/or New Brusnwick.

cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 October 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
There is a George in Nova Scotia's 1838 Census occupation Labourer no other information.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 October 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Dom,
call me 'windows' as i will look into it.

cheers
Jack

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 October 20 03:36 BST (UK) »
A few things to ponder:

Family lore can always be a bit "off", and given that George would have been around 31 when he first married, perhaps it is possible he went to Canada BEFORE his first marriage?

Also, if he had an illegitimate child in Canada, it would carry the mother's surname, not Gilbert.  Maybe there is more than a Canadian winter chasing him back? Unknown marriage gone sour?

Lastly, he may have sailed over to Canada via the United States.  That was common. Might be worth taking a look at their passenger lists.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 October 20 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks B Bart,
yes - i often ponder.
And you are right about family legend - proved to be wrong  on a few instances.
I am also not ruling anything out.
I am waiting on a report from my DNA contact as to the most likely place for the Canadian geographical DNA location. Previous indication re the Canadian DNA suggested the time line was about right for the 1840 case. This is only indicative.

However three things indicate the Canadian sojourn happened
-Family legend.
- Canadian DNA link.
- Years ago i found a french lady researching my 'George Gilbert' on a Family Search notice board.

The frustration of this genie caper is our brickwalls.
And one of my major attributes is perserverence.
Just keep working on the angles and trying to join the dots.

Cheers
Jack