Author Topic: German Marriage Certificate - Horstel  (Read 643 times)

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German Marriage Certificate - Horstel
« on: Wednesday 03 July 19 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hullo,
Can sks please translate this Certificate for me.
In particular the names of Parents for both Bride & Groom.
Many thanks
clancam37

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: German Marriage Certificate - Horstel
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi clancam,

I am trying to help, but I'm having trouble with the scan :-\ so maybe we'd better wait for Dave..!  ;D

I see as Wolf Hörstel's parents
Otto Hörstel and Minna, née Gieseler

The bride's name is unclear (for me!). I think it's something along the lines of Elsbeth Hedwig Elfrieda, surname very unclear. Looks almost like Oheim, but I'm probably waaaay out on that. Née Schieker.
Parents: Alexander Schieker and Herta, née Hoffmann.

Let's see what the others come up with...

Best regards,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
A larger image would help greatly, but from what I can see, I think you're more or less right, Karen. However, I'd suggest Giessler rather than Gieseler, and possibly Schicker rather than Schieker.

The script is mostly Kurrent, but there are a few words in what looks more normal to us, eg 'Aschersleben' adjacent to the bottom of the purple stamp. As the surname Schieker/Schicker seems to be in non-Kurrent (see the 'h'), the 5th letter could well be 'c' rather than 'e'.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 11:49 BST (UK) »

Bridegroom: The Kaufmann Wolf Hörstel born in Aschersleben
Parents: Schneidermeister (master tailor) Otto Hörstel and Minna, née Gießler (Giessler)

Bride: the widowed Schriftsteller (writer)  Elsbeth Hedwig Elfrieda Oheim nee Schickor
Parents: the Kanzlist (clerk) Alexander Schickor and his wife Berta nee Hoffmann, both deceased.

One of the side notations on the right states that the marriage was divorced on the 17 July 1923

As the surname Schieker/Schicker seems to be in non-Kurrent (see the 'h'), the 5th letter could well be 'c' rather than 'e'.
Don´t let this confuse you. It was common practice when using kurrent or sütterlin to write names and places in normal letters.

I´ll do the rest later
Dave

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Little friendly note to clancam, as it may prove valuable in correspondence regarding your research:

The name is most definitely Hörstel, not Horstel, as in your thread title.

If you have trouble with "ö" on your computer, you can type "oe", i.e. Hoerstel.

Leaving off the Umlaut makes a big difference - it's not just a decorative flourish.  ;)

If you write to authorities in Germany and state "Horstel", you might strike lucky and they might look for Hörstel, too. But if they just look for Horstel, you will have wasted your time.

(Just trying to help!  :) )
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 July 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
Berlin 2.9.1918

Bridegroom: The Kaufmann Wolf Hörstel
Identified by birth certificate
born in Aschersleben on the 10.3.1887
protestant
resident in Berlin, Paulstrasse 4

Parents: Schneidermeister (master tailor) Otto Hörstel and Minna, née Gießler (Giessler)
both resident in Groß Salze, Kreis Calbe an der Saale

Bride: the widowed Schriftsteller (writer)  Elsbeth Hedwig Elfrieda Oheim nee Schickor
Identified by birth certificate
born in Posen on the 3.2.1892
protestant
resident in Berlin, Paulstrasse 4

Parents: the Kanzlist (clerk) Alexander Schickor and his wife Berta nee Hoffmann, both deceased.
Last resident in Berlin.

The top side notation on the right states that the marriage was divorced on the 17 July 1923
the other stamps are conforming that the document 316 is identical to the first registry.

The second page (not posted) shows the witnesses as:
Fritz Schickor, bookkeeper, 23 years old, resident in Berlin, Paulstrasse 4
Mathilda Hörstel, Modistin (hat maker), single, 28 years old, resident in Berlin, Paulstrasse 4

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi DaveCapps,
Have had a real breakthrough and sincerely hope this will provide some information
Attaching clues from "Google" and Ancestry.de that I have just found.
Hopefully a RootsChat subscriber knows the Owner of this information on Ancestry Germany who would be willing to give me the Parents names of Käthe and when she was born - about 1912 according to her now ageing Son.   Or a very kind subscriber of Ancestry Germany may send me information and that of her late  husband Harri Schmidt.
Found this clue by trawling through Google with the words -- " Käthe Charlotte Martha + suicide + 1973 + Berlin Germany".
Kind regards
clancam37
Australia

Bridegroom: The Kaufmann Wolf Hörstel born in Aschersleben

One of the side notations on the right states that the marriage was divorced on the 17 July 1923

As the surname Schieker/Schicker seems to be in non-Kurrent (see the 'h'), the 5th letter could well be 'c' rather than 'e'.
Don´t let this confuse you. It was common practice when using kurrent or sütterlin to write names and places in normal letters.

I´ll do the rest later
Dave