Author Topic: HMS Juno 1854 Atlantic crossing  (Read 71 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMS Juno 1854 Atlantic crossing
« on: Wednesday 03 July 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
   Last query, for now, about this voyage of the Juno. I have just discovered from a newspaper that they crossed from England to Rio, spent a week there, then crossed to Cape of Good Hope. Would there have been a reason to go to Rio, or was it to do with winds and weather. I do vaguely know that with a sailing ship, that sort of crossing is easier, but can't find details. How long would each leg of the journey have taken? It was March/April/May.

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Juno 1854 Atlantic crossing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
Yes. The main reason would have been to take advantage of the prevailing winds and also to replenish stores.
Newspaper reports can be sketchy. You will find an accurate answer to the second part of your question, by looking at the 1854 logbook of HMS JUNO. Available from the British National Archive.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=juno&_cr=adm53&_dss=range&_sd=1854&_ed=1854&_ro=any&_st=adv
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Juno 1854 Atlantic crossing
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
   Thanks Seaweed. The log books would be interesting, but I doubt if I shall get to Kew. Something for the next generation to research!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire