Author Topic: Marriage by License as a status symbol?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage by License as a status symbol?
« on: Wednesday 03 July 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hey all,

So I've discovered that my 4x great grandparents were married by license in Shropshire in 1787. This has led me into reading up on the differences between Banns/License/Special License.

I've read in a number of places that marriage by license was seen as something of a 'status symbol', but I wonder if anyone could put this idea in a little more detail for me. Exactly how much of a status symbol was it? I also read that, while not inconsequential, the license didn't cost a huge sum of money. At the same time, poor people could also have a sponsor pay for a marriage by license. This, along with people rushing to get married 'before the baby came', would make me think it was kind of a mixed bag as far as how people would have seen this kind of marriage.

Does anyone have any more info on this aspect of Marriage by License in 18th Century England? Why was it such a status symbol?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage by License as a status symbol?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
Or it was War Time and the serviceman/officer's leave would have ended before the Banns were called.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
Interesting point, Barry - I hadn't thought of that one! It'd be interesting to see the stats and see if the incidence of marriage by license went up during the times Britain was at war...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
A Licence was popular because it had the advantage of relative speed and secrecy, and facilitated a marriage in Lent when banns should not have been called.
According to "Daily Life in 18th-century England" a marriage licence cost £1 1s 4d  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eno/
According to "Georgian Marriages" at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/regency/marry.html the cost of a common or ordinary licence was 10 shillings. The site is no longer available

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Stan, it's very interesting! My 4x great grandparents were married in September, so Lent wouldn't have been an issue - but I've come across another possibility for why a license might have been needed; my 4x great grandmother was a Mary Smallman of Monkhopton near Ditton Priors. I read one source that claimed that a lot of the local Smallmans had been Catholics since at least the 16th Century. Makes me wonder about the religion of my ancestors in this part of the tree.

Am I correct in assuming that Catholics (and Non-Conformists) would also want a license rather than a Banns marriage, given that they may not have attended the Anglican church?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few in my tree who married by licence. I cannot see that any of those would have been doing it as a status symbol.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 19:40 BST (UK) »

According to "Georgian Marriages" at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/regency/marry.html the cost of a common or ordinary licence was 10 shillings. The site is no longer available

Stan

Oh ye of little faith cut and paste the link into the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and choose which crawl of the site you wish to view.
https://archive.org/

The internet Archive spiders crawl most websites the do not have the one of the commands disallow or no-index, etc. that stop legitimate spiders and bots crawling them.

General tip if anyone has a list of urls that no longer work try the Internet Archive you may be surprised.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 22:09 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 July 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
I read one source that claimed that a lot of the local Smallmans had been Catholics since at least the 16th Century. Makes me wonder about the religion of my ancestors in this part of the tree.

Am I correct in assuming that Catholics (and Non-Conformists) would also want a license rather than a Banns marriage, given that they may not have attended the Anglican church?

Everybody in England was Catholic in the 16th century until the Reformation.  :)
My 18th century Catholic ancestors who could spare the money for the fee married by licence; the rest married by banns. They had 2 wedding ceremonies, Catholic and Anglican.
Cowban