Author Topic: Mary Coyne nee Griffin: Last living person on the 1911 Irish census?  (Read 991 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Coyne nee Griffin: Last living person on the 1911 Irish census?
« on: Wednesday 03 July 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
Mary died this week aged 108 in my original home town! Death Notice
She was born Mary Griffin on March 31 1911 Birth record #395
to Owen/Eugene Griffin and Bridget Crinigan in Cloonlative, Castlerea
She married Roger Coyne on July 21 1942 in Castlerea, Co. Roscommon Marriage record

She was recorded on the 1911 census with her grand-parents, parents and two siblings, as 2 days old LINK

When she died this week it was thought she was the oldest person in the Republic of Ireland
Unless there is some one living elsewhere, or misquoted their age; it is thought now there is no one else recorded on the 1911 census still living.

Someone here could prove me wrong!!

edited to add writing in red!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Coyne nee Griffin: Last living person on the 1911 Irish census?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 19:17 BST (UK) »

Just adding a little bit of information! This is the townland where she was born.
Cloonlatieve, Kilkeevin Civil Parish, Co. Roscommon.
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/castlereagh/kilkeevin/coolougher/cloonlatieve/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
I was waiting to see how long before someone looked her up, I did as well when I saw the news the other day.;D

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
She was a neighbour of my Grandad’s as a child and just a few years older than my dad and his siblings!
She outlived my Dad by 47 years!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 July 19 10:23 BST (UK) »
What I love about RC is that there is always someone to save you from your self!!

I wonder was she born in Ireland and on the 1911 census?!

Another interesting article on her

edited
and we all know what curiosity did....... LINK
Further generations:

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 July 19 13:11 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 July 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
I think so based on the date and the name and that there is also a Joseph LINK to birth in 1906
LINK to marriage

What I love about something like this, is how it makes you question newspaper articles and their content.  Or question what you were told about some one - he was your father's first cousin and after head aching research you find out otherwise!

Now I'm wondering is Maud the last person alive from the census...!
Further generations: