Author Topic: What's the largest cM DNA match you have where you can't identify the link?  (Read 12034 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: What's the largest cM DNA match you have where you can't identify the link?
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 21 September 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
I had something similar with a Jones match we traced our great grandfathers back to Wales but couldn't see any mutualnames until he remembered that his great grandfather had married a woman with maidenname of Jones ...she was my great grandfather s sister !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 22 September 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
I have a 200cm match

I have now managed to identify the link between this person and myself. They are in fact my 2nd cousin once removed so Ancestry's estimate of 2nd to 3rd cousin was surprisingly accurate.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 22 September 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
I do not know who my grandmother's parents are and am hoping that through DNA I am able to gather some possible leads.  I have sent emails to my top matches and have not received replies.  One I am particularly interested in is a Jon Spong with 149cM.  We have a number of shared matches and I am not able to work out connections with any of them.

I am a little bit annoyed as my husband who does not really share my interest in family history was recently asked to do a DNA test through Ancestry.  He agreed and as a result discovered a half-brother.  His half-brother (Rob) had been trying to find out for 40+ years who his father was.  He was given a DNA kit and eventually sent this away.  A second cousin of my husband was also given a kit as a birthday present and when his results came through he was a match for Rob.  He contacted Rob as he did not know how they were related and after discovering that Rob did not know who his father was he agreed to help him.  This eventually led to Rob contacting my husband and asking him to complete a DNA test.  cMs came back as 1,754.   My husband received further emails from a person who had a DNA test several years ago and was hoping to find out who her great great grandfather was.  She had managed to find out who her great great grandmother was through DNA but was waiting for someone like my husband to pop up and she would be able to work out who her gggrandfather was through shared matches and his family background and movements.  Her gggrandfather was a brother to my husband's gggrandmother.  They both came to South Australia in the 1860's from Germany.  My husband's gggrandmother stayed in SA but her brother moved to Queensland where he had a relationship and fathered a child.

I am hoping that down the track I have some luck.  I have recently asked a cousin in the UK if she would be willing to send away a DNA sample so I can used shared matches to further my research.