Author Topic: What's the largest cM DNA match you have where you can't identify the link?  (Read 12040 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's the largest cM DNA match you have where you can't identify the link?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
I have just read JaneyH_104 reply and did not know that DNA samples from objects such as stamps and envelopes was commercially available.  I did a search on the internet out of interest and found a company in Australia that had this service available.  Their charges were just over $300 Australian dollars.

I do not know the parents of my grandmother and have a number of matches that I am not able to work out how I am connected to them.  I have used a colour code to identify those that I know are linked to me and also looking at their shared matches.  One person who I think may be connected to my grandmother has replied to a message but this was very vague and I was simply given the names of 4 families that were her area of interest.  Building a tree using her 4 families could be a way to find something out but will take time and maybe even some certificates purchased.

I do have a cousin in England who may be willing to complete a DNA through Ancestry.  An Aunt in England I think is still living, aged in her 90s, but I am sure she would not agree to a DNA.  Initially when I was trying to find out about her grandparents and my great grandparents she was quite reluctant to tell me anything and just said I wish people would not try and find things out, just leave things as they are.  I do have letters that she wrote to me and using these for DNA may be the way to go.  I also have letters that were my mothers. Thinking about the cost of around $300, I don't think is too much when over the years I have paid researchers in England over $2,000 with no results.  The researcher completed a thorough investigation and in the end simply said that some people like to keep their past hidden and do not want anyone to know about this and your grandmother might have been one of these people.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:25 BST (UK) »
I certainly wouldn't advise using DNA from a living person without their knowledge or consent, especially if you know consent would not be given. Frankly, even after she's gone, if her children were to discover it they might well be very angry, I know I would. I can't imagine that it would be legal to obtain and test someone else's DNA behind their back without being a member of the police investigating a crime. Someone who has been dead for 100 years would be a bit different.

The sad part of doing that with envelopes is that it would get destroyed. The letter itself is obviously the important part but still...

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 12 July 19 09:52 BST (UK) »
I've just looked at the website of one company that does artefact DNA testing and it states in its FAQs: "we do not accept anonymous letters for DNA extraction or artefacts from living persons".

In my case, the letter in question was sent by my great-grandfather to my grandfather. The former died in 1936 and the latter in 1985.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline ChrisW72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 04 August 19 12:08 BST (UK) »
I've a match with 999cM I can't identify.

My father was adopted and through the DNA match and the few adoption papers we have I've put together his maternal line but I've nothing on his father.

Frustratingly the match hasn't been on Ancestry in over a year, has no tree and hasn't responded to a message.

Not sure where I go next...

Chris

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 04 August 19 12:18 BST (UK) »

Frustratingly the match hasn't been on Ancestry in over a year, has no tree and hasn't responded to a message.

What you need to do next is look at other matches that you have in common with this one. Analyse their trees to figure out which are their common ancestors then start to build the tree down again from there until you come to people at the right level. Keep working on it until you come to a person on the right timeframe and location to be the grandfather that you are looking for.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 August 19 12:31 BST (UK) »

Chris

Have you uploaded your DNA to MyHeritage? Its database is smaller than Ancestry’s but it does show you not just the cMs you share with matches, but also the cMs the matches share with each other. It can help pinpoint where you might sit in a family group. If you’re lucky, the 999cM may also be on there, or you may find similarly strong matches who do have a tree.

Offline ChrisW72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 August 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick responses.

I've been holding off paying for an ancestry sub but might have to bite the bullet, only seeing a couple of generations on the shared match page isn't getting me anywhere.

I'll give MyHeritage a shot too.

Chris

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 August 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick responses.

I've been holding off paying for an ancestry sub but might have to bite the bullet, only seeing a couple of generations on the shared match page isn't getting me anywhere.

I'll give MyHeritage a shot too.

Chris

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=816573.0

Have a look at this topic too, Chris, especially re MyHeritage.  I strongly recommend looking at the video Martin recommends, which I've done and it's illuminated a few things for me re DNA match research.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex