Author Topic: The Sum Total of The Inventory of Edward Milson of Killingholme in 1583  (Read 1528 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Sum Total of The Inventory of Edward Milson of Killingholme in 1583
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 July 19 23:07 BST (UK) »

I would have posted that part of that image on here if I knew how to, but I do not.

When you post a message, underneath the box for your query, is 'Attachments and other options'.
Click on this and choose your file.
You will see that a single image should be less than 500KB, and to make it easy to read closely, you should try and get the image as near to that as possible.
If your original file of the image is more than 500KB, (which it probably is), you will need to save it as a smaller file size before the site will let you post it - I usually put it through my photo software, which allows you to choose the size of the file as a new save.

It sounds a bit complicated, but not really. It's like anything else, once you've done it a couple of times, it's pretty easy!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 July 19 22:40 BST (UK) »
Just a thought.
 700 in Roman numerals would normally be DCC.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
RobinRedBreast, I need to investigate further, but I descend from Mil(l)sons of Killingholme; so far I`ve only worked back to 1776.

The will of Edward Mylson seems to be a long one, but it "is" very difficult to read.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
RobinRedBreast, I need to investigate further, but I descend from Mil(l)sons of Killingholme; so far I`ve only worked back to 1776.

The will of Edward Mylson seems to be a long one, but it "is" very difficult to read.

Hello there,

Thank you. I viewed his will at Lincolnshire Archives about a year ago first of all. I couldn't read very much of it, only really the names in his will.

I have since looked at quite a few more wills, and had more practice.

I went to look at Edward Milson's will a few days ago. I was able to read it this time around. There were a few letters within words in the will which I wasn't first sure of. But I compared the shapes of those letters in the words with shapes of letters within other words that I could read. I was then able to decipher a lot more from his will because of this, and was able to read it.
It's amazing how if you stare at something like the words in these wills for long enough, you can become adjusted to the shapes of the letters and are able to "tune into it" for want of a better word, haha! 

I must admit I do also find it quite fascinating reading these wills. It is really good for genealogy because you can confirm or deny relationships from information in them, which you may have originally just presumed. It is also good for if there is a gap of information in the parish registers: I was able to confirm from a will yesterday that John Noble of Barrow on Humber, who made his will in 1577, was the father of my 11x great grandad Phillip, who was baptized in 1574. The register of Barrow shows Phillip's baptism, but no father's name. John Noble named Phillip's two other siblings: Edward bap.1572, and Elizabeth bap.1576 as "children" in his will.

Wills can also give reference to probable in-laws:
John named Bennett Sergeant as one of the supervisors of his will alongside John Wilkin. He named his wife as Elizabeth, in his will specifically named "the mother of my children": John Noble married Elizabeth Sergeant in Barrow, on the 4th of February 1570.

Will Reference: "John Noble." LCC Wills, Barrow 1578, 109. Lincolnshire Archives.

I have also looked at wills where I have got the wrong person. But then I know I can cross that one off the list.

My apologies for waffling on here, haha! But I think you may get the picture.

Much obliged.
:) ;)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 July 19 11:23 BST (UK) »
Now I don`t live in Lincs I really miss my visits to the Archives. I think that is what it`s all about, even though for some people it`s impossible to visit.

Your post has given me more incentive to follow through on the Milsons. My gt grandmother was an illegitimate, daughter of Margaret Milson b 1838 at Killingholme. She does not appear anywhere with the connection to Margaret other than her birth cert.; she first appears on the 1871 census living with her father; why this happened I`ve no idea.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
Now I don`t live in Lincs I really miss my visits to the Archives. I think that is what it`s all about, even though for some people it`s impossible to visit.

Your post has given me more incentive to follow through on the Milsons. My gt grandmother was an illegitimate, daughter of Margaret Milson b 1838 at Killingholme. She does not appear anywhere with the connection to Margaret other than her birth cert.; she first appears on the 1871 census living with her father; why this happened I`ve no idea.

Thank you,

Yes, I am very lucky where I live is close to Lincoln so not far from the archives.

:)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 July 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
I " was " 16 miles north, but now 270 in W Wales ! Need to visit !!!