Author Topic: 1621 Will of Thomas Pope of Boughton under Blean  (Read 447 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1621 Will of Thomas Pope of Boughton under Blean
« on: Friday 05 July 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm hoping someone here can clarify or work out what a few words are in the attached extracts from the 1621 Will of Thomas Pope of Boughton under Blean. I have managed to read most of the will without problems but there are a few sections where the ink from one page seems to have bled through or where some words seem to be written over others.

In the first extract attached I'm looking for confirmation of the word written after "house or Tenement in...". I think it is "Southstreet" but would be grateful if someone could confirm this.

In the second extract you can see where some ink has bled through pages making it a bit harder to read. I am trying to work out what exactly the top line says but I am having problems with the second word (it might be "desire") and the surname of "John" who he names as overseer. The surname of this man looks like it starts with an S and might be "Shrub" but I am not sure.

Many thanks for any ideas and help

Matt

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1621 Will of Thomas Pope of Boughton under Blean
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 July 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
First clip
Yes, 'South street' - 'South' is written with a capital 's', and 'street' with a lower case 's'.

Second clip
I think it's written 'desier' - (= desire)
John's name looks like 'Shrubsell the elder'. The 'u' could possibly be an 'o', although it doesn't look quite closed up enough to be an 'o'. Very difficult to see if it's an 'e' in the 'sell' bit because of the bleed through. If you're going to search for him, you'll have to try different vowels in those places - but then you'd be doing that anyway as an experienced researcher.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
First clip
Yes, 'South street' - 'South' is written with a capital 's', and 'street' with a lower case 's'.

Second clip
I think it's written 'desier' - (= desire)
John's name looks like 'Shrubsell the elder'. The 'u' could possibly be an 'o', although it doesn't look quite closed up enough to be an 'o'. Very difficult to see if it's an 'e' in the 'sell' bit because of the bleed through. If you're going to search for him, you'll have to try different vowels in those places - but then you'd be doing that anyway as an experienced researcher.

Hi

Thanks for that. I think you might be right about John's name being "Shrubsell" which is a variation of "Shrubsole". I have seen the name written as Shrubsoll, Shrubelle, Shrubshell, and sometimes Shrobsoll or Shrobsell.

Many thanks for confirming these details.

Matt

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 July 19 01:11 BST (UK) »

I have seen the name written as Shrubsoll, Shrubelle, Shrubshell, and sometimes Shrobsoll or Shrobsell.

All makes for interesting research!   ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs