Author Topic: Trying to solve a mystery  (Read 3965 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to solve a mystery
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 July 19 11:04 BST (UK) »
How exactly. Is Alfred’s birth cert set out?

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 July 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
The bit you can see in the Probate Index just tells you Carrington was an executor. Not who were the beneficiaries.

Go to https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills.
They cost £10 and a link is emailed to you, then you download.  Very satisfying! 😀

If Dianne’s family have his death certificate among their papers from some time ago there must be a reason.
It would be interesting to know when it was issued,

I hadn’t thought of checking the date of issue .... I checked it’s august 1928 wonder if that coincides with their migration will check.

I didn’t know that about the wills I will email Dianne’s daughter Jennifer and recommend she perhaps order it.  I also suggested she pay for some research to see what might be found on her Grandfather  via Army Ordinance as I know vis my own Joseph Wade if they died in service quite often their records were destroyed but as I knew the regiment we found the muster rolls. 

Blessings
Deb

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 July 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
I’d hold off on paying a researcher until the rootschatters have had a good go.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 July 19 11:41 BST (UK) »

OK, I’ve seen it on your tree

Alfred Sanders.   No father,  mother Eliza Francis signs with her mark , address Boxted.

So...she cannot possibly be closely related to Felix ..surely, given the level of education in that family.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 July 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
I hadn’t thought of checking the date of issue .... I checked it’s august 1928 wonder if that coincides with their migration will check.

Looking at shipping lists, the son of Alfred Saunders Francis and Ellen Woolner was Albert Saunders Francis. Born India 1899
He hyphenated it to Saunders-Francis
Two children born 1932 England and 1933 India
And in 1937 Albert’s wife is only 22.  So, the death certificate  of Felix was obtained long before he even married, and before migrating to NZ.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 July 19 12:06 BST (UK) »

OK, I’ve seen it on your tree

Alfred Sanders.   No father,  mother Eliza Francis signs with her mark , address Boxted.

So...she cannot possibly be closely related to Felix ..surely, given the level of education in that family.

No I agree it makes no sense ... and who is she? There is no Eliza Francis that fits and I can’t find any of them together.  And why does Dianne have Felix death certificate?  I’ve been spinning my wheels on this for awhile which is why I wondered if Felix could have fathered one of the boys? And is Eliza ... Elizabeth Saunders?  If only I could find Alfred and Albert on a census. Alfred was educated so where did he go to school?  So frustrating. And Eliza gives no address on the birth certificate either.

Blessings
Deb

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 July 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
There is another Indian connection.

Albert Saunders Francis b 1899 married in India to (Gertrude) Agnes CROFT.   Abt 1914/15. Daughter of Alexander CROFT.

Edited to add...although it’s hard to see how she ended up in India.  Her father is a house painter in Liverpool

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 July 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
There is another Indian connection.

Albert Saunders Francis b 1899 married in India to (Gertrude) Agnes CROFT.   Abt 1914/15. Daughter of Alexander CROFT.
Yes this is Alfred’s son and Dianne’s father

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 July 19 12:26 BST (UK) »

Looking at shipping lists, the son of Alfred Saunders Francis and Ellen Woolner was Albert Saunders Francis. Born India 1899
He hyphenated it to Saunders-Francis
Two children born 1932 England and 1933 India
And in 1937 Albert’s wife is only 22.  So, the death certificate  of Felix was obtained long before he even married, and before migrating to NZ.

I wondered if it was Albert was the one to order the death certificate perhaps he was looking for answers? I just don’t know I will ask Dianne’s daughter again if she knows why her mum has the certificate.