Author Topic: Peter Kennedy.  (Read 2421 times)

Offline xMrsKennedyx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Kennedy.
« on: Saturday 06 July 19 21:48 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family tree and have reached a major brick wall. My 4th great grandfather Peter Kennedy. I cannot find any documentation for him apart from his marriage proclamation. All I know is that he married Margaret Hunter 27th August 1830 in Newton on Ayr and his occupation at the time was a Mariner. Peter and Margaret had 6 children between 1831 and 1844 - John, Margaret Caldwell, Adam, Peter, Elizabeth Jane and Gilbert. His last known occupation is documented on Gilbert's marriage certificate in 1866 at a Captain Merchant and Peter was deceased at this time.

I cannot find when/where he was born or died. I would really, really like to know where my family came from and this is my brickwall. If anyone has any information, ideas on how to get information it would be greatly appreciated.
Dunbartonshire - Kennedy, McFarlane

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Kennedy.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Margaret is a sewer.  Fairly unusual for a wife to have an occ while hubby was earning so I wonder if she was already widowed by then.

Might be worth having a look at the actual 1851 image on Scotlands People to see what her marital status was.

It would help with a timescale for his death
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:08 BST (UK) »
You did not say specifically that you had failed to find Peter in the census, so for the record and the benefit of anyone else disposed to help, Margaret was head of household in 1841, 1851 and 1861, and described as a widow in 1861.

So Peter must have died between 1851 and 1861. He might be in the 1851 census under shipping, and if he was a Captain in the Merchant Service there might be some records of him in the Lloyds Captains Register at the London Metropolitan Archive.

Another possibility might be to try the shipping intelligence sections of newspapers for arrivals and departures of ships at Ayr.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline xMrsKennedyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Margaret is a sewer.  Fairly unusual for a wife to have an occ while hubby was earning so I wonder if she was already widowed by then.

Might be worth having a look at the actual 1851 image on Scotlands People to see what her marital status was.

It would help with a timescale for his death

Thank you, I will have a look at this. I would never have thought about it in that way.

Offline xMrsKennedyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:12 BST (UK) »
You did not say specifically that you had failed to find Peter in the census, so for the record and the benefit of anyone else disposed to help, Margaret was head of household in 1841, 1851 and 1861, and described as a widow in 1861.

So Peter must have died between 1851 and 1861. He might be in the 1851 census under shipping, and if he was a Captain in the Merchant Service there might be some records of him in the Lloyds Captains Register at the London Metropolitan Archive.

Another possibility might be to try the shipping intelligence sections of newspapers for arrivals and departures of ships at Ayr.

Thank you! I will look to see if I can find any of these records. I had no clue where to look for any possible information.

Thanks again.

Offline xMrsKennedyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:24 BST (UK) »

Thank you! I will look to see if I can find any of these records. I had no clue where to look for any possible information.

Thanks again.

I have found a Peter Kennedy in the Lloyds Captain Registers, doesn't give much information. It just says:

"Kennedy, Peter b. Ayrshire 1817 S42766 n.k Vol 9 1856,1860 -1868, 1870-1872. Vol 21 1874, 1877, 1879"

Do you know what that means??

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 July 19 23:42 BST (UK) »
Very young to be married 1830 if born 1817

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 July 19 11:56 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

I have found a Peter Kennedy in the Lloyd's Captain Registers, doesn't give much information. It just says:

"Kennedy, Peter b. Ayrshire 1817 S42766 n.k Vol 9 1856,1860 -1868, 1870-1872. Vol 21 1874, 1877, 1879"

Do you know what that means??
[/quote]

S 42766 his certificate of service. This will tell you what vessels he served on from 1856 until 1879.
You would need to visit LMA to view, they do however have an excellent research service. You would need to enquire on cost.
Once you have obtained this information, You can then look at logbooks and crew agreements of the various ships, these should tell you some personal details such as address's and NOK. you would also be able to search newspapers especially "Lloyd's List". which is available on line at a cost.
Without the name of the ships he served on this would be an almost impossible exercise.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 July 19 12:16 BST (UK) »
I checked a transcription of the 1851 census. She is described as a widow in that. So Peter must have died between 1844* and 1851.

*Have you viewed Gilbert's baptism? If it says Peter was deceased before Gilbert's baptism, it would set a much narrower window for the death of Peter, i.e. June 1843 to March 1844.

Unless he had deserted Margaret and the family and gone on being a ship captain until the late 1870s, and she described herself as a widow rather than admit to being deserted.

She must have struggled to keep her family if widowed so young. I wonder whether she applied for relief from the parish? If so there would have been a record of the application, which would probably say where Peter was born and when he died. If there ever was such a record, and it has survived, I would expect Ayrshire's archivists to know how to access it. See https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/AYR/archive
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.