Author Topic: how do i start searching for family history and do a family tree.  (Read 3029 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: how do i start searching for family history and do a family tree.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 July 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, and the world of family history.
Some great advice above. I'd only add to talk to older family members, ask lots of questions of them, and get them to identify people in old photos. Let them ramble on if they start talking too, you'll never know what may come out that might prove helpful. If they are amenable, tape your conversations with them. And talk to cousins as well; it is surprising how different branches of a family know different things.
And yes, ask away on here. There are plenty of friendly folk to help you.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 July 19 03:20 BST (UK) »
I would add not to take any family stories as being factual - there may be an element of truth in them - or they may have been used to cover up something else.
Good luck with your search.
Jackie 
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 July 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Once you have the basic information, you need to work out how and where you are going to create the tree.  Recording to genealogy software helps to keep some order to your research.

See here for info on genealogy software http://www.rootschat.com/links/01o0y/

Most of the programs allow you to download a free tester, see how you get on recording your info before you decide to buy one. Personally,  I use rootsmagic which I’ve used since 2003’ before that I used to record the tree by drawing it out in excel. I still do that if I’m not sure I have the the right family, before I put them on the genealogy software. You can make notes about each person if you wish and don’t forget to add your source information... and any previous searches even if you found nothing.

Create folders on your pc to store your documents and photos in a logical order to you...

Hopefully, if you start off neatly you won’t get in a muddle, it’s one of the biggest mistakes we all are make and very hard to catch up with once you have loads of information.

Ask on rootschat if you have any questions... there is no such thing as a silly question, we all started out once not having a clue what we were doing. 

You will be hooked before you know it  ;D ;D ;D
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 July 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Excellent advice already given and I can't add much except to say that if your research takes you to Scotland please use www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ site. It costs very little to download the actual certificates.

I hope you enjoy your journey.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 July 19 10:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat & a different world (genealogy)  ;)

Plenty of good advice given but...

Record all info. from every document as it may also come in useful at a later date e.g.

Witnesses/Sponsors/Relationships/Addresses/Areas/Ages/Occupations & Arithmetic to work out circa dates of Birth/Marriage/Death as well as variants of surnames e.g. Brown/Browne/Broun & variants in forenames e.g. Margaret/Peggy

Good luck & enjoy the fabulous journey!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
I thought that all you had to do was type somebody’s name into Ancestry and it all mysteriously appeared!

Seriously, at the beginning, you’ll likely feel very confused with all the records available but, as you progress, things will gradually get easier until you reach the point where the records start to run out (usually pre-1837 if your ancestors were commoners like mine).

Write everything down, don’t believe anything you're told without checking it first and, if you're of a nervous disposition, be prepared for surprises.

Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help here.

Happy searching.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 July 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
Seriously, at the beginning, you’ll likely feel very confused with all the records available but, as you progress, things will gradually get easier until you reach the point where the records start to run out (usually pre-1837 if your ancestors were commoners like mine).

Mine are commoners too, but there is still a wealth of information available pre-1837 if you use parish registers.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 July 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, in theory, but it can be hit and miss as the availability of some parish records can be patchy and you can never be sure you have the right parents (baptism records usually contain the names of the child and parents and marriages the couple marrying).

I didn’t say impossible, simply “confusing”.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 July 19 14:01 BST (UK) »
Of course if the names you are researching are Smith, Brown, Jones etc..... it’s a little more challenging ;D
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.