Author Topic: Oechsle (Exley) UK Connection  (Read 1453 times)

Offline CaptainAwesomepants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking Oechsle, Exley (German)
    • View Profile
Oechsle (Exley) UK Connection
« on: Sunday 07 July 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hey all!
I'm new to the forums and relatively new to genealogy.  I've been tracing my family name from the US to Germany and possibly the UK.

I've gotten as far as Johannes Oechsle (1753-1815) and it was his son, Gottfried Oechsle (1789-1863) who took a boat to Clarion County, Pennsylvania and changed the family name to Exley.  Johannes was possibly from Matthaus Oechsle, but records that far back are spotty.

Now, thing is, Wifeage got me a DNA kit thing and I'm mostly from the UK in nearly all forms, nothing from Germany of note.  So I'm wondering if it's possible that the Oechsle clan went to Germany from the UK and were possibly even "Exley" before changing it to it's German equivalent.

So I'm VERY interested in any information on the surname Oechsle from Wurrtemburg, Germany as well as any connection that surname has to the UK.

------

Also interested in my mother's family name, Lane, and have traced that lineage back all the way to Sir Adam (de la Lone) Lane, born 1042.  First record in the US is Andrew Lane, born 9 May 1610 in Beaminster, Dorset who ended up in Massachussetts.

His lineage goes back to Sir Robert Lane of Rickmansworth Hertfordshire born in 1504 and then Sir John II Lane, Baron Lane of Hampton born in 1400, then up through a line of Barons to Adam Lane who came over with William the Conquering Bastard in 1066.

So I'm very interested in any connections through that glorious line!

Any and all help and advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!
Oechsle=>Exley (Wurtemburg, Germany), Lane (Baron of Hampton), Pickett (Western Australia), Alder (South Africa/Australia)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oechsle (Exley) UK Connection
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
I would continue to follow the German connection if I were you. I think it is unlikely that any English Exleys would have gone to Germany and changed their name then changed back again later. English DNA is heavily influenced by continental Europe so it is not really a problem that the system is not splitting out much German in your ethnicity results.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline zenobia37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know how helpful this is but I can tell you that the Exley name existed in parts of Yorkshire, England in the 18th and 19th century, so it sounds plausible that an ancestor might have traveled to Germany from there and that was how the name was written phonetically when they arrived. If they were illiterate they may not have known themselves how it was spelled, and during a later move it might have been written with the conventional spelling.

I and others have traced the Exley line back to Wakefield (aka Sandal Magna) and Dewsbury to the late 1600's / early 1700's.

I'm not sure what records of a voyage might still exist if any but others might be able to suggest something.

I don't disagree with Craclyn either, I'm not sure how much I'd rely on the DNA indication - but I wouldn't rule it out as a theory.

Best of luck with it!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Awesome and thanks heaps for that, folks.

I've dead-ended on the German connection, hence my need for possible other connections.

Do any of you have any advice for how to research records of that era (1700-1800) Germany?

And yeah, Wifeage reminds me that the DNA connections are largely based on the records that are being put into the database, so it's all relational anyway.  Ha!  Unintended pun.
Oechsle=>Exley (Wurtemburg, Germany), Lane (Baron of Hampton), Pickett (Western Australia), Alder (South Africa/Australia)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 19 11:11 BST (UK) »
Rather than worrying too much about ethnicity try working your DNA matches. Do surname searches on both Exley and Oechsle (with spelling variants) to see if any of your matches have these names in their trees. You may find a match who know more about them than you do. Then start clustering your matches and look for any clusters that might have German origins. One stumbling block though is that DNA testing is not prevalent in Germany so you will not find many matches who are still living in Germany today. You may find some useful emigrant matches though.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Also, check out familysearch. They have some records for Oechsle, Oechsslin and other variants going back to the 1700s in Germany.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Is this your man??
If yes, let me know. I´ll see what i can dig up

Johannes Oechsle
in the Württemberg, Germany, Family Tables, 1550-1985

Name: Johannes Oechsle
Marriage Age: 31
Death Age: 62
Birth Date: 8 Jun 1753
Marriage Date: 17 Feb 1784
Death Date: 17 Apr 1815
Residence Place: Schorndorf, Deutschland (Germany)
Father: Matthaeus Oechsle
Mother: Magdalena Oechsle nee Frizin
Spouse: Christina Oechsle nee Knödlerin
Children:
Jacob Oechsle
Gottfried Oechsle
Catharina Oechsle
Johann Georg Oechsle
Christian Oechsle
Johannes Oechsle
Christina Oechsle
Johann Georg Oechsle
Joh. Gottlieb Oechsle
Rosina Oechsle
Rosina Oechsle
Eva Oechsle
Anna Maria Oechsle
Relationship: Head
City or District: Welzheim
FHL Film Number: 1195635

Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 July 19 07:50 BST (UK) »
Is this your man??
If yes, let me know. I´ll see what i can dig up

YES!!  That's him!

I've only gotten as far as suspecting his parentage (didn't have the full names or dates yet).  That's quite a significant piece of information you've got going there, mate.

I've been looking around for about 8 months for this stuff!  Would you mind sharing with me how you got it?  Because this furthers my search that I thought had dead-ended, and that's quite exciting.

Thanks heaps, to you and everybody on this forum that have already been so helpful and kind!

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 July 19 12:31 BST (UK) »
I found this on Ancestry

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&r=an&db=GLuFamilyTables&indiv=try&h=4330594

There are quite a lot of documents and info on the family.

You need an Ancestry international subscription and be able to read old German.
Let me know If you need any help.

Here´s an excerpt out of the Family Book
b.t.w. it says he was born as a twin

Dave