Author Topic: Advice about US death certificates  (Read 1791 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about US death certificates
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 July 19 18:14 BST (UK) »
but it is totally possible that she had other family there with her. Maybe that's why she and Newsome went to live there in the first place, and/or why she returned there after his death. I'm not absolutely certain this is the same Charlotte but it does seem likely.

Just want to confirm the proper relationships and not guess or assume.

Charlotte's obit only mentioned the names as her nephews & a niece. They could be her brother's children or they could be her sister's children.

Below is Mary A Smith's obit. She died earlier that same year. Besides the children, the obit mentions one sister, "Mrs. N.S. Potter" all of this place. So Mary & Charlotte were sisters. And the obit also confirms this is the right Charlotte, who was married to Newsome Scott Potter, - "Mrs. N.S. Potter".

The Morning Star
Febuary 27, 1904

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 July 19 19:00 BST (UK) »

They later settled in Sandy Hill, Glen Falls, from 1880 to 1899. During that period Newsome put in a patent application for a machine and is recorded in various directories, but in 1899 they returned to England again, where Newsome died. Charlotte subsequently travelled back to Sandy Hill on the SS Umbria arriving in April 1899, and so it seems likely she died there.

Local gossip.
It appears Newsome & Charlotte must have been back in England in 1885. They sent their nephew John a gift.

Glen Falls Daily Times
Wednesday December 16, 1885

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 July 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
1860 census Kingsbury, Washington, New York

Stephen Robins   30
Sarah Robins   27
R H Robins   6
Henry Smith   40 Mary A Smith   33
James Smith   12 Mariah Smith   10
Henry Smith   8 Geo D Smith   6
John H Smith   3 Emma Smith   8 months

One of the Smith births...............

Mariah Smith - mothers maiden name Sparks 
GRO Reference: 1852  M Quarter in Bethnal Green  Volume 01C  Page 308

There was also a James Robert Smith - mothers maiden surname Sparks    
GRO Reference: 1846  J Quarter in St James Clerkenwell  Volume 03  Page 113

and Henry George Smith - mothers maiden surname Sparks    
GRO Reference: 1854  J Quarter in Taunton  Volume 05C  Page 449

Sandra

Bearing in mind some of the birth records for the Smith children - Food for thought ..............

1841 census Bethnal Green Middlesex

HO107 Piece 692 Book 10 Civil Parish Bethnal Green County: Middlesex Enumeration District 25 Folio 36 Page: 26 Line 10

Elizabeth Sparks   40
Elizabeth Sparks   15
Martha Sparks   13
Mary Sparks   11 born Middlesex Charlotte Sparks 9 born Middlesex
Thomas Sparks   4
Maria Sparks   14 Months.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 July 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
1851 census Bethnal Green Middlesex. (Mary should be married by this point)

HO107 Piece 1541 Folio 180 Page 23

Martha Sales   94 born 1757 Bethnal Green, Middlesex.
Elizabeth Sparks 50 born 1801 Whitechapel, Middlesex.
Charlotte Sparks 21 born 1830 Whitechapel Middlesex. Grand-daughter.
Thomas Sparks   14 born 1837 Whitechapel, Middlesex.
Thomas Watkins   15 born  1836 Whitechapel, Middlesex.

Of course "Murphys Law" could be barking up the wrong tree  :-\

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline zenobia37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 July 19 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, I had a look at the newspaper a bit further too but I hadn't seen the entry about the gift from England. Clearly this is the right Charlotte which is such a huge step forward. I've been stuck on this 'brick wall' for several years until yesterday!

It's the Sparks name and the Middlesex connection that I'm less convinced about and I found another possibility in Suffolk yesterday which seems more plausible to me given that Charlotte also claimed to be from Suffolk so I'm going to look at that a bit further as well as the Sparks name. I agree the Sparks option seems to be the only one for a "Mariah", but it wouldn't be uncommon for that to have been misspelled as Maria in England at some point which opens up various other possibilities. Unfortunately the prevalence of the Smith name means there's a lot to look at. If I do crack it I will confirm.

I did get a quick response from the City Clerk who was able to confirm they didn't have the death certificate but suggested some other clerks to contact too, so I may yet resort to that.

Offline zenobia37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
it seems that Charlotte and Mary Ann's maiden name may have been Cady. There is a photograph of Mary Ann on Ancestry under that name and baptisms in Suffolk that seem to tie up.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 July 19 20:09 BST (UK) »

Great - Fits with the June 1847 regsisted marriage of a Henry Smith and Mary Ann Cady.  Blything volume    13page 627

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 July 19 20:13 BST (UK) »
Lovely to put a face to a name with a photograph. No positive sources for the births of the Smith children in England  :-\
Don't think Mary Ann Cady was born in Yorkshire as per anc tree.   There are two Halesworth, more likely to be the Suffolk one

Sandra

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 04:55 BST (UK) »
The website for the Town of Kingsbury, in which the village of Hudson Falls (formerly Sandy Hill) is located, says that the town clerk in Kingsbury has the death records issued by Hudson Falls too. So that would be the office to contact to get a copy of Charlotte’s death certificate.
http://www.kingsburyny.gov/clerk.html

FYI, a Town in New York is equivalent to a township in most other states.

Steve