Author Topic: John Mcdonald  (Read 462 times)

Offline ethorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mcdonald
« on: Sunday 07 July 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Seeking information regarding my relative John Mcdonald, a crofter/ farmer and son of Alexander Mcdonald and Catherine Nicholson. He went to Canada following the birth of his daughter in England in 1904 and I believe he died not long after moving to Canada. From what I gather, he was buried in Calgary, however all attempts to find anything about his death have failed so far. What I know about John, is that he was born on the 1st of December 1868 in Duirinish, Inverness, Scotland and lived on the Isle of Rum in his younger years. He and Elizabeth Heywood, who was from a wealthy English family, had a daughter called Elizabeth, in 1904. The Heywood family disliked their union because she was rich and he was poor. They refused to let him see his daughter, so, heartbroken, he moved to Canada. There are rumours in the family that he may have married again, but again, I have struggled in finding out this information. He may have died around 1907, but not confirmed. Can anybody help? It would be greatly appreciated.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Mcdonald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 19 12:32 BST (UK) »

There is a date of death for John McDonald as 12 December 1907 Calgary on anc tree.  Does that tree belong to you ? Can see one of the right age died 12/12/1907 but Saskatchewan  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mcdonald
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 19 14:36 BST (UK) »
If I have found the same tree.....

There is a note related to the daughter Elizabeth that indicates she was raised by John's sisters Marion and Sarah. This would suggest contact was maintained between John and his family back home and they would presumably have been notified of his death, although there is quite a difference in the location posted and the possible Saskatchewan one posted by *Sandra*. Too bad Sask certs cost so much.....makes it difficult to buy one to rule the party in or out.

Elizabeth's marriage cert (also posted on the tree) names both her parents, both deceased.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada