Author Topic: Tynan, Middletom, Armagh, Ireland  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Winston55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tynan, Middletom, Armagh, Ireland
« on: Monday 08 July 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
Were there any fort/barracks at Tynan, Middleton, Armagh, Ireland around 1837.  My gg grandfather Andrew Boyd was born there and I believe his father Samuel Boyd who was married to Sarah Anderson (can't find any record of their marriage anywhere) may have been a soldier.  Andrew had originally joined 68th Highlanders and then transferred to 72nd Highlanders possibly following in his father's footsteps?
Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tynan, Middletom, Armagh, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
There is a Dublin registered birth in 1836 of an Andrew Boyd in the regimental indices on FindMyPast , father in the 71st Foot.  A Samuel Boyd is in the 71st Foot in 1841.  The 71st were in Kilkenny in 1837.  Maybe mother came from Armagh and went home for the birth?  Speculation though with 3 jigsaw pieces and no picture to put them in!
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Winston55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
Andrew Boyd's attestation papers say he was born in 1836 but says he was born in Tynan, Middleton, Armagh when he joined the 68th Highlanders then transferred to the 72nd Highlanders in 1862.

I see there are two Samuel Boyds in the 1796-1880 GRO Army Returns Marriages Boyd in Ceylon both in 1833 Pages 611 and 633. How do you look up these pages?

I have never been able to find evidence of Samuel Boyd & Sarah Anderson's marriage or find them on any census.  However, last night a lady in Dublin found a marriage for them on 7 May 1829  Tydvanet (Ballyalbany or 2 Nd Monaghan, Co Monaghan.  She also sent me an entry of a birth for a Samuel Boyd who was born 7 June 1799 Shankhill, St Anne's Belfast, Antrim Father listed as Samuel Boyd Soldier.  Perhaps this might have been Andrew's brother.

Any thoughts?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
I see there are two Samuel Boyds in the 1796-1880 GRO Army Returns Marriages Boyd in Ceylon both in 1833 Pages 611 and 633. How do you look up these pages?

If you are looking at the FindMyPast entries for these, click on the image at the right. The records give the names of the possible brides.

(I only posted he Dublin detail to show perhaps a coincidence, records do get entered incorrectly.)

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Winston55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 11:33 BST (UK) »
I can't get the GRO index to come up when I type it into the A-Z of record sets.  Is there some trick to it?

What I have is a copied page so you can't click on anything.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 14:55 BST (UK) »
To see FindMyPast records you need to have a subscription.  I can tell you none of the ladies that are listed as possible brides of your man in Ceylon was Sarah Anderson.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Winston55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
I’ve got a subscription for a month but having trouble bringing up GRO indexes. Thank you for looking

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk