Author Topic: Suggestions for researching family mystery  (Read 275 times)

Offline JGSnoopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suggestions for researching family mystery
« on: Monday 08 July 19 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm clutching at straws a little but hoping someone might be able to suggest some areas to research next to discover more information about a relative.

Through an Ancestry DNA test we discovered my father's biological father was not my grandfather. I know very little about the biological father (let's call him Alf) other than he lived in Wales and had a large family there.  Living descendents of his know very little of his life.

My grandmother lived her entire life in a town in the south east of England and would have been 32 when my father was conceived in Nov 1945. At that time she was married with a 3 yo son who is definitely the son of my grandfather as they are very similar in appearance.  Alf would have been 58.

So the queries this raises are:
How on earth did the paths of Alf and my grandmother meet? They lived hundreds of miles apart.  Being conceived just after the end of the war, could this have meant either of them were temporarily relocated elsewhere and how would I find this out?

There is a suspicion given the age difference that it may not have been consensual.  If this is the case it may have been hushed up or he may have been prosecuted - is there any way of finding this out?

I suspect this may be a mystery I will never solve, but thought I'd ask incase someone has some ideas!

Thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for researching family mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
If she was 29 and he was 58, ie both adults, where does the "non-consensual" suspicion come from?
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Could "Alf" have met grandma in her home area?  Do you know his job; could it have involved moving around the country?

Is the 3yr.old still living, could they answer some general questions for you?

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Also, how do you know Alf was the father? Could it have been one of his sons?
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 19 12:55 BST (UK) »
Without going into the difficulties of exactly how this may have occurred, and focusing on tracking down where the participants were at the time in question - do you have 'Alf' in the 1939 register, and if so, what was his occupation at the time?

This might be a route to discovering whether he was in 'the town in the South East of England' at the time of conception.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Belgium/East London.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online matthewj64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 July 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
Try the British Newspaper Archive, you can narrow down a search to a year, month, region
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Offline JGSnoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 July 19 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the repsonses and queries.

I did consider whether the father was Given the DNA results to a couple of Alfs descendents I am confident the father is Alf not one of his close relatives.

Alf is in the 1939 census living in the same town in Wales where he spent his life and working as a "Lengthman GWR".  While this was a railway job, I'm led to believe the job was based at one location and so did not give an opportunity to travel.

The non-consensual suspicion is based purely on the fact that it was unlikely to have been a long affair given the distance between their family homes, the fact that my grandmother was recently married, and (assumingly) happy as they remained married all their lives, and the age difference made it seem less plausible.  It's only a suspicion and I may be entirely wrong.

The 3yo and my father are both still alive, but not aware of the results of the DNA test and the existence of Alf, and I am quite happy for them to stay ignorant of the fact due to the heartache it may cause.  I don't think it would be wise to tell my father that his dad was not his biological father.

I'll definitely give the newspaper archive a look to see if there is anything there.

Thanks