Author Topic: James Cathcart, Scots Guards and Royal Artillery 1870s  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Cathcart, Scots Guards and Royal Artillery 1870s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
To me, everything points to James Cathcart and James Wilson being the same person.   The second name of 'Wilson' given to son George is surely significant somehow.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Cathcart, Scots Guards and Royal Artillery 1870s
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 July 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Agree with Annette to Cathcart/Wilson being the same person.

"As an afterthought I re-entered it as Cathcart with Soundex etc! and lo and behold there is James Catticart aged 17 but listed on his own without an address.  His family were at 31 Broad Street and if he was in the same house he would have been listed with them even with a different surname"

The original 1871 entry on SP index shows;

CATHCART JAMES 17
465/ 2/ 1 Alloa Clackmannan

The original will help with street address.

Google shows an address of 7 Bedford Place (large Hotel) edit to add 2 mins from Broad Street!

From the anc transcription it looks as though he's working/living (at least on the night) in the Royal Oak Hotel as he's a Servant/Post Boy i.e. possibly receiving free meals & worth it?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"