Author Topic: Help with this will please  (Read 333 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with this will please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 06:54 BST (UK) »
...Alaming dever...

Still don't know what it means but it's progress at least

ADDED:

Or:  ...ALaming dever...

See line 5 - Litle and Least

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 07:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this, I'll take another look.  As you say it is something we don't understand - yet! ;-))
How can this be 'standard for my house'? It's an odd place for this statement don't you think?
A laming Dever  - dever also means endeavour
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 07:22 BST (UK) »
I would expect anything that is standard to a house to be a physical item.

The obvious thought is that it is a thing used when lambing is on.

Does that fit with what you know about the testator's life?

It may help the dialect experts if you post the location too.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
 Yes I did wonder if dialect came into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

The will maker John Rawlins is living in what would once have been a quiet rural part of then North Berkshire in a lane in the southern part of a village called Longworth. This part of Longworth now lies in Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor and is now in Oxfordshire. It lies on the road from the City of Oxford to Faringdon.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 07:39 BST (UK) »
I would expect anything that is standard to a house to be a physical item.

The obvious thought is that it is a thing used when lambing is on.

Does that fit with what you know about the testator's life?

It may help the dialect experts if you post the location too.

Sorry I know little about the testator except that he is reasonably well to do. I am just transcribing will for a project.  Not sure about the lambing.
-----------------------------
A laming dever -
Looking at defective, below defective endeavour?

Dever also means endeavour . [OED]
I dever, I applye my mynde to do a thing..I shall devoyre my selfe to the best that I maye. [OED]

The action of the verb LAME; rendering lame, halting, or defective.