Author Topic: Trying to find more information on Betty Rideal  (Read 2142 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find more information on Betty Rideal
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 July 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
The Platt / Platford death looks worth investigating. The Edmund in Lionel street is interesting. Need to find where Thomas Platt was. Did come across an Edmund b Rochdale early 1800s s/o James and Elizabeth. Could Thomas be Edmund snr’s younger brother. Away from home at moment so can’t do searches easily from phone
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 July 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
I came across this anomaly in the records:-

PLATT, BESSY age 65 
GRO Reference: 1850 J Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 20 Page 336

This appears in the GRO index and, although the right age, may not be Betty. However, it does not appear in any other records. I looked at the image for that quarter and it seems to be shown as Platford.

I could be that a Platt has been included in Platfords by mistake or the GRO index is wrong. Some of the other Platfords also appear as Platt in the GRO index.

David

On Freebmd it has been keyed and verified as Platford

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 July 19 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I cannot see any census records for a Bessy Platford and the GRO records show Bessy Platt age 65.

I think this is far more promising than the death in Lionel Street (1845) and unless someone can perhaps identify the informant of this death, my inclination would be to order the death certificate to see what additional information is shown thereon.

Alan

PS Regarding the daughter Elizabeth who not born in Liverpool, I can see a possible marriage (1842 in Rochdale) to a John Dyson, where on familysearch.org  the father is shown as Edmund. There is also a potential christening  in Dobcross, York 29/10/1820 where the parents names were Edmund and Kitty - guesswork but are both entries worth looking at?

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
The Bessy Platford/Platt would seem to be the correct death, although you might need to quote both names to order the certificate.

Liverpool Mail 06 July 1850:
On the 22nd ultimate, Betty, wife of Mr Edmund Platt, organist much and deservedly respected and regretted by a numerous circle of acquaintances and friends.

David

P.S.
There were only just over a hundred Platfords living in 1841-1851, so unlikely that a quarter would die in the space of three months.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 12 July 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
I think I can see what is wrong with the Freebmd index.

On the image, the first Platford, Rachel of Norwich, is correct and appears in the GRO index. This is also wrong alphabetically, if the names are all Platford.

Whoever typed the list must then have missed the name Platt from the left-hand column. The second name, Alice of Manchester, is not in the GRO index but everyone else seems to be Platt, starting with Ann of Wolstanton.
Mary Platford is the last in the first column and the top of the second column is Noah Platt - alphabetically correct.

Unfortunately, the Freebmd index was taken from the image and so is incorrect except for Rachel.

Bessy, rather than Betty, could be how the name looks on the death certificate, or perhaps she was also known as Bessy to the informant etc.

David

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 July 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. That seems to have found Betty and her parents originating from Wakefield.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott