Author Topic: Lamberton Toll  (Read 2360 times)

Offline hoprigg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lamberton Toll
« on: Monday 08 July 19 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am hoping someone may know the answer to my query please.

I am looking for a wedding confirmation of a Peter Drummond in 22nd August 1850 at Lamberton Toll to Mary Edwards Clazie.

Please can you help.

Thank you in advance for any help.
East Lothian, Duns, Berwickshire, Batty, Sutton, Mortimer, Clazy, Fargie, Fergie, Trotter, Steel/Steele, Renton, Ford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lamberton Toll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
There's no record of this marriage in the pre-1855 church registers at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. However this doesn't mean that the marriage did not take place, just that the record of it, if one ever existed, has almost certainly not survived.

There is a small chance that it could be in a register of a minority denomination whose registers have not yet been digitised, for example the Episcopal church or a Free Church whose congregation have not given permission for it to be digitised.

There are two possible avenues of enquiry. The easiest would be to look at the birth certificates of those of their children born after 1860 - Agnes in 1863 and Isabella in 1868, both of which should tell you the date and place of the parents' marriage.

See also https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/birth-death-and-marriage-records/irregular-border-marriage-registers and https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=473982.0

If all else fails, a long shot might be the Kirk Session records, either of Mordington (the parish in which Lamberton Toll is situated, I believe) or of Edrom, where their first child was baptised.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 19 18:14 BST (UK) »

Offline hoprigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you...:-)
East Lothian, Duns, Berwickshire, Batty, Sutton, Mortimer, Clazy, Fargie, Fergie, Trotter, Steel/Steele, Renton, Ford

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
Lamberton Toll
this was a Toll just over the border from Berwick upon Tweed where marriages were performed Like Gretna Green often by
rogue priests or by blacksmiths (The first place in Scotland for elopements on the East coast) I know that an ancestor of mine a blacksmith was witness to a lot of these marriages  Berwick upon tweed archives (which is in Berwick library) hold some of these records

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
hoprigg i have volume I for Lamberton Toll 1833-1849 so doesn't cover 1850 and I checked and negative result.
Maybe someone can tell me if there is a volume 2?
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Lamberton toll 
I have a booklet  irregular Marriages volume II recorded in Berwick Advertiser and other Border papers covers 1808 to 1864 this covers Lamberton Toll     If you would like a copy   ISBN 1 904656  55 5    If its just a couple of names you need I,ll look for them in this book

Offline hoprigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Belhay, just saw this post.  I looked for that ISBN but it never found anything at all.  If you could do a search for me that would be so kind.

The name would be "Clazie" in this form or other viariants.  Also "Drummond".

Thank you very much. 

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
i found a david drummond of Edrom married to a Clazie and several more Clazies in the Borders but
not Peter,s marriage .  According to Ancestry.co  census   his wife was born Eyemouth and he was born further north. Their marriage is not in the Irregular marriages 1808-1864 but Berwick archives has microfilm which includes dates July1850-November1850 so you might be in luck there Unfortunately the office which is  in the Berwick library has been closed since last March but we hope it will be opening after Easter I,ll check it out if you haven,t found the marriage by then