Author Topic: Apprentice Law Clerk  (Read 969 times)

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Apprentice Law Clerk
« on: Monday 08 July 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any knowledge or information on finding some form of register for Apprentice Law Clerks c1884 working in a law practice in Elgin. I am unfamiliar with the Scottish legal system but would assume an app rentership would have some form of official documentation when the young person began with the law firm. I have try ed the 'Go ogle' method but cannot seem to get any information about this topic, I have a mystry Great Grandfather who's only clue was that he was an Apprentice Law Clerk living in Elgin in 1884 and old enough to father my Illegitimate Grandfather

Any information, help or guidance gratefully accepted

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice Law Clerk
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 July 19 20:20 BST (UK) »
If the law firm still exists, it may be worth asking them if they have any details.

I take it you have identified him as the father through his having signed the birth certificate or being given as the reputed father on a marriage or death certificate. Have you found him in the 1881 and 1891 censuses?

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 July 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
He is only on the Birth Certificate so must have been present at the registration, as my grandfather was given his surname. He is not in Elgin in the 1881 Census or the valuation roll of 1885 for Elgin, he was proberbly a lodger in 1884 and I have looked at the tennants of where he lodged for 1881 and 1885 but can establish no connection. I have a spreadsheet of all Hugh Adams or Adam for 1881 to eliminate individuals and although there are some potential suspects through age or location, unfortunatley no hard evidance. family hearsay has Hugh Adams and my great grandmother being shipped of to relatives in South Africa, where he died and she returned to her family in Elgin, still single.

Thank you for the suggestion about the law firms I can get a list from an 1886 Elgin directory I have downloaded and cross reference it with current law firms in Elgin.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
I have never come across such a register. If one exists, I would expect the Elgin Local Heritage Centre to know about it.

Have you tried to find Hugh Adams' death in South Africa?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.