Author Topic: Any secret diaries out there?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Any secret diaries out there?
« on: Monday 08 July 19 20:59 BST (UK) »
Some people watching "Gentleman Jack" currently being shown on Sunday evenings on BBC1 might be surprised to find that the storyline is based closely on the diaries of the real Anne Lister, who actually lived in the first half of the 19th century at Shibden Hall, which for 85 years has been run as a museum.

The diaries, though, were substantially in code, and were hidden from view. When the main parts were decoded in the 1930s, their shocking nature prompted a friend of the Lister family to suggest that they be destroyed. This advice was, thankfully, not taken.

Has anyone discovered diaries written by a deceased family member and obviously intended to be kept secret? If so, what did you do with them?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Any secret diaries out there?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 08:09 BST (UK) »
It's a secret.  I'd have to shoot you.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately no secret diaries found  :(

We have enjoyed watching Gentleman Jack and look forward to the next series. :)

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
My aunt who died a few years ago aged 96, kept a diary from the time she was 21. She made my cousins promise to destroy them when she died. As they are both interested in family history, they decided they couldn't do this without reading them first.

What a disappointment, instead of lots of dark family secrets, they just consisted of entries such as, “doctor’s appointment 9.30” and “Had beef stew for dinner” Even for my cousin’s birth it just said, “ V...... born today.”   ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
My mother was born 1910, she kept a diary from the age of 15, she did say I could read them but I wish I had read them whist she was alive, she died aged 86, so many questions unanswered, although with my FT she helped fill in  gaps, she didn't write  a diary for a few years as she must have been unhappy, all due to housing conditions, I have them now and have read them  twice now and will read them again, what my daughter will do with them I really don't know, I have also kept a diary since about the age of 18, few bits missing as well for no real reason, just laziness on my part

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
My father kept a diary, and I have a number of volumes of it, but have not read them all - it makes me sad.  No excuse, I will do it eventually.

And my great grandfather, who was a Metropolitan policeman, kept a notebook (rather than a diary) and wrote all sorts of interesting things in it, including when he was on duty at the funeral of Queen Victoria, when he went on holiday (staying with various members of the family) and - gold dust - dates of birth and places of birth for his family and details he can remember about them.

Yes, I know how lucky I am.   ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 July 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
I seem to have come from a long and unbroken line of non-diarists on both sides. Ten years ago I decided to start keeping a diary, fairly brief entries, I assumed, using an academic year diary I was only partway through. As time progressed, I found my writing becoming tinier and tinier.....
But the diary entries remain most mundane.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 July 19 20:02 BST (UK) »
My grandfather (who lived in SW London) started keeping a diary in 1939 on loose papers.  Some sections are missing (or not written?) but when it was passed to me I thought it would be a goldmine of his thoughts during difficult times.

Well, I was wrong!  Plenty of gripes about his dislike of his job as an insurance agent, Union colleagues, and his brother-in-law.  Very few mentions of his wife and daughter.  Plenty of thoughts about books and radio programmes.  Only two significant mentions of the war: 1) a near-miss when a stick of bombs hit local houses (the nearest were next-door-but one, the house backing onto his back garden, and a house just across the road!) and brought his roof down; 2) "received my call-up papers today".

In the words of my youthful relatives: "WTF, Gramps?" - Now I'll have to shell out £30-odd to get his service record!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 July 19 14:32 BST (UK) »
I have my father's diary which he started in 1935 when he joined the RAF, and continued to write - intermittently - whilst he was in the Western Desert in 1939 to 1941.  The diary is written in Esperanto although there are some lists at the back in English, which included flying hours, letters sent and received, money sent back home to his parents.  One piece here sounds quite innocuous until you realise the place of the events in history, and the fact that Rommel was advancing.  He gives a date and then writes "Advanced to ...".  Three days later there is an entry "Retreated to ...." and then shortly thereafter "Retired to Cairo".
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk