Author Topic: Grace Pritchard 1851 Bodedern  (Read 3620 times)

Offline sylgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Pritchard 1851 Bodedern
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 July 19 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hanes teulu for the Welsh Newspapers link as I got such a lot of info about those “recalcitrant” Pritchards!

Dragon T, Aa
l of those Baptism details are just fabulous & of enormous help.

Now here’s the thing, I have 2 conflicting 1851 Census extracts from “The Genealogist”

“Tyne Te Qyay”, Aberffraw, Anglesey Ref: HO107,2520/F?

Elizabeth Roberts  Age  74 Born 1777 Head Birth Place Aberffraw, Anglesey Occupation Pauper
Mary Roberts     Age  50  Born 1801 Birth Place Aberffraw, Anglesey
Martha Roberts  Age  4    Born 1847 Daughter Birth Place Aberffraw, Anglesey
David Roberts    Age  15  Born 1836 Grandson  Birth Place. Clynnog, Caernarvonshire

As you say I think that Martha aged 4 was the Grand Daughter of Elizabeth as she must be the one that died at aged 10 and was the daughter of Martha born in 1823.
Mary also appears to be the same daughter listed with having Robert & Elizabeth as parents in 1802

“Reval Rally”, Bodedern, Anglesey Ref: HO107/2522/F?

Margaret Roberts  Age 64  Born 1787 Head Birth Place Glamorganshire. Occupation Pauper
Martha Roberts     Age 25  Born  1826   Birth Place  Glamorganshire. Occupation. Pauper
Eleanor Roberts    Age   5   Born  1846  Birth Place  Bodedern, Anglesey. Occupation Pauper
Robert Williams.    Age   3   Born 1848.  Birth Place  Bodedern, Anglesey  Occupation Pauper
Grace Jones          Age 8M  Born  1851  Birth Place  Bodedern, Anglesey  Occupation Pauper

The 2nd household agrees with previous details apart from the fact that now

a.   Head  is given as Margaret & not Elizabeth
b.   Age differs by 10 years
c.   There is no “relationship” mentioned in the 2nd Household & “Head” doesn’t mean she is       Martha’s Mother - maybe a coincidence!

I need to lie down with a couple of Panadol to get myself sorted from all of this!

So many thanks to you all  :) :)

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 July 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the headache! - I have misled you! There are two Martha Roberts.

In the 1851 census the first, living in Bodedern, is the mother of Grace, Robert and Eleanor, we assume Margaret, 64, is her mother.
The second is a house servant age 27, unmarried, b. Aberffraw living at Tyddyn ?????, Llangadwaladr (HO107, 2520, 195, 2). She is probably the daughter of Elizabeth and Robert Roberts baptized at Aberffraw in 1823, and mother of Martha Roberts (1847-1857).
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Goferydd1970

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 September 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census for the family (RG09, 4370, 13, 20) shows Grace's surname as Roberts, the surname for the rest of the family is Prichard.

The birth registration index for Anglesey has Grace daughter of Martha Roberts b. 18 Jul 1850, Bodedern. There is no father named on the birth certificate. FreeBMD/GRO has the birth registration Anglesey Sep 1850 27, 415, mmn blank. (added as mentioned by Dundee, above)

Some of the later children were registered as Prichard/Pritchard but I haven't found a marriage for Martha Roberts and William Prichard:

Margaret dau. of William Prichard & Martha Roberts, 6 Jun 1855, Llechylched
Edward son of William Prichard & Martha Roberts, 30 Apr 1857, Bodedern
Mary dau. of William Prichards & Martha Roberts, 1 Apr 1859, Bodedern
John son of William Prichard & Martha Roberts, 21 Dec 1864, Bodedern
Martha dau. of William Pritchard & Martha Roberts, 2 Apr 1869, Bodedern

Martha Roberts is my paternal 2nd great-grandmother, via her youngest daughter Martha Pritchard b. 1896 and in turn my grandmother Margaret Ann Jones b. 1893. This information is gold, thank you!