Author Topic: Access to NSW criminal record - charges & convctions  (Read 422 times)

Offline Shortcut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Access to NSW criminal record - charges & convctions
« on: Tuesday 09 July 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to have access to / view an individual's NSW criminal record for period 1945 to 1970?

He was convicted and was imprisoned on more than one occasion, both as a juvenile and as an adult.  It is 40 years since his death; I have a copy of his death certificate as proof.  (Also have copy of his birth certificate.)

Given that convictions can be, and are, reported in the media, I am wondering whether court records are available, and what details would be given.

Ideally I'd like to view his entire 'record', ie those where he received a non-custodial sentence as well as imprisonment, but anything would be a start.

Where / who do you suggest I apply to for access.

Thanks heaps
Shorty

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Access to NSW criminal record - charges & convctions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
Have you considered writing to the NSW Justice Department ? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Shortcut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Access to NSW criminal record - charges & convctions
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 July 19 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, I'll try that.  (I was hoping someone could give details of their experience in gaining access)