Author Topic: Army records lookup at The national Archive please - will pay reasonable fee  (Read 2474 times)

Offline EllyReid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone

My first post here so please forgive if I am in the wrong place!

I have a relative last know in 1881 census at Brompton barracks. Spent years searching worldwide and nothing.

Recently I was advised to look at some records in TNA at kew which are not online. I am a pensioner living in Newcastle upon tyne in ill health so no chance of me getting there.

I wondered if someone might do this for me please?

I will provide the record references I was told to look at and everything else I know about this person and as I said in subject would pay a reasonable fee to cover costs and time

thank you

Elly

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army records lookup at The national Archive please - will pay reasonable fee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 16:34 BST (UK) »
Elly

Warm welcome to Rootschat. 

Would you like to say who he was and perhaps where he was from and his age?  Another pair (or more!) of eyes may find something missed so far.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline EllyReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Army records lookup at The national Archive please - will pay reasonable fee
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
Yes apologies

Baptised as JOHN THOMAS DUGGLEBY Hunmanby, Yorkshire Parish Register:Baptism 27.12.1858, John Thomas Duggleby son of John & Annie, Hunmanby, Saddler. Copy on file.

GRO: Births March 1859 John Thomas Duggleby registered in Bridlington. Volume 9D page 266.

Shown on 1861 census as residing at Bridlington St, Hunmanby son aged 2 years. Born Hunmanby.

1862 brother Frederick William born

1864 Sister Lucy Ann born

1867 Grandfather dies.

1869 Father dies aged 31.

Shown on 1871 census as residing at 37 Bridlington St, Hunmanby, grandson aged 12. Born Hunmanby (making year of birth 1859) With His grandmother, Brother & sister. His Mother is a servant in Hull at this census.

1873 July Mother marries Leonard Cape.

1873 Dec Grandmother dies.

Mother moves to GillinghamKent with new hubby - 2 further children.

Shown on 1881 census as THOMAS DUGGLEBY at Maidstone barracks, Maidstone, Kent. Private, aged 21, born Brenchley, Kent. Copy on file.

His Brother in 1881 Census: Frederick William Duggleby age 19, is at School of military engineering, Brompton barracks, Kent. William goes on to serve 20 years & can be traced to his death.

His Sister in 1881 census is in Plumstead, Kent. marries and can be traced to her death.
His Mother her new hubby and 2 new children in 1881 census are in Gillingham, Kent all can be traced to their deaths.

[PRO Search for a birth certificate for Thomas Duggleby born Brenchley in 1859 - 1861 could not find anything!!!]

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
Shown on 1881 census as THOMAS DUGGLEBY at Maidstone barracks, Maidstone, Kent. Private, aged 21, born Brenchley, Kent. Copy on file.
[PRO Search for a birth certificate for Thomas Duggleby born Brenchley in 1859 - 1861 could not find anything!!!]

How does John Thomas birth reg Bridlington 1859 become, in 1881, plain Thomas born Brenchley Kent?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline EllyReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Only Duggleby record that fits!

I asked GRO to do a search for a birth for Thomas Duggleby or John Thomas Duggleby and all variant spellings registered in Brenchley 1860 and they turned up nothing!

No death record for JT or T between 1871 and 1881.

Duggleby/ Dugelby and other mispselling are so few approx 220 in 1881 census.

And Fits with his Mother, brother & sister being in Kent area.

My assumption was they went with Mother & new hubby after grandmother died

Also I have done a ONS for 30 years on Duggleby and misspells worldwide so can be fairly confident with my educated guess

Offline EllyReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 17:43 BST (UK) »
Should have added hoping any army records may provide proof if this is John Thomas I think it is.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
Born late 1858

John Thomas Duggleby 27 Dec 1858

parents John Smith Duggleby and Anne
GEDmatch M157477

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:39 BST (UK) »
A John Duggleby sailed to Brisbane 1886 DOB abt 1858 assisted passage

On the electoral roll in the city of Kooyong Victoria a John T Duggleby 1910s unable to see as I haven't got overseas on Ancestry.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
A John Duggleby sailed to Brisbane 1886 DOB abt 1858 assisted passage

On the electoral roll in the city of Kooyong Victoria a John T Duggleby (minister)  1910s unable to see as I haven't got overseas on Ancestry.

That looks to be a John Taylor Dugglesby in Kooylong Victoria  :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada