Author Topic: Mystery  (Read 7305 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Mystery
« on: Tuesday 09 July 19 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a whole disappearing family. I asked in here many years ago ,but only one person was found and then only on one Census, so I am appealing again for help.
The family are called Hunter, military family, daughters and grandsons of Robert Hunter b1790 Dunluce Ireland.
I know all about Robert Snr., He was living with second wife Mary in Plymouth on 1851 census and he dies in 1856 in Plymouth.
Next door are the daughters of his first marriage : Ann b 1820 Turkey Point ,Canada , Catherine b1822 Woolwich and Jane Louisa Hunter b1825 Woolwich ,also two seemingly illegitimate children of one of the daughters and they are Robert b1844 and Richard Hunter b1846.Both born Plymouth.
A rootschatter many years ago found Richard in a workhouse in 1861 in Greenwich, but I cannot find anyone else, neither births,marriages census records etc. and I can’t find the workhouse record either.
I must be missing something and any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
Could you tell us quite what information you are seeking?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
I just want them found

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
An observation would be that if the workhouse record was related to you on this site, it won't have been deleted, so go look for it!

If you know all about Robert, you can tell everyone where he should be in 1841.
Maybe then YOU can look too.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:36 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry Workhouse records are on that site -- just go to Card Catalogue and input 'Workhouse' and England Workhouse records will be one of the results.

Both a Richard and a Robert Hunter seem to have been admitted in Jan 1856 -- unfortunately the end column has been 'cut off' -- but it seems to say 'Children of ? Mills ----

The Workhouse is Greenwich. Maybe you could find which particular archives may hold workhouse admissions for Greenwich -- you could request a copy of their papers and they may reveal the background. There will be a cost of course.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:42 BST (UK) »
Aah -- I think the end of the page is overleaf -- and seems to say ' children of Catherine Mills.

Catherine Mills also has other children shown as illegitimate on the same page -- if I have counted down correctly to get the correct end of the entry.

Maybe these aren't yours.
Places of interest;

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you Pennines, I didn’t need the rather sarcastic response from Pauline, I have looked and looked for these people for years and although the reply re workhouse is still on here it only gave the information that a Richard Hunter was in a workhouse.
Pennines,I think that is them, there was a Catherine Hunter on the 1841 with the two boys, it seems she may have married a Mills.
This is really great and a breakthrough .

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
The only marriage I can see at a very quick look is a Catherine Hunter to possibly a George Mills in Q/E Dec 1859 == East Ashford, Kent.

Greenwich was classed as Kent then -- but this is AFTER the admission of the boys.
Places of interest;

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 19:23 BST (UK) »
Here is the reference for Richard in the workhouse

1861 403/80/11
Greenwich Union Workhouse

Richard Hunter 15yrs Scholar b Plymouth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk