Author Topic: How do you keep track of your research correspondence?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
How do you keep track of your research correspondence?
« on: Tuesday 09 July 19 19:57 BST (UK) »
There is a large number of products for recording your research results, but I would be interested in how you keep track of to whom you have asked certain questions, what replies you have had, and who knows what, especially if there are any family (in)discretions to consider.  I have research contacts who aren't ever going to be relatives, so they aren't on my tree, but I want to keep track of them.

Or am I the only one with this sort of problem?

Martin

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How do you keep track of your research correspondence?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
home folder/familyHistory/me-or-my-wife/surname/correspondence/name of correspondent/file with what they told me and when

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 21:50 BST (UK) »
I have a folder in my filing system (backed up multiple times in various locations)  for each and every person on my tree and every single record, snippet of info/correspondence in connection with that person is saved in their folder  along with a text file for the references for said info - if the correspondence encompasses more than one person its copied into all relevant folders.
May be overkill, but, so far, I haven't lost anything and rarely these days do I have to re-do searches because I can't remember what I confirmed or discounted.

My filing system is arranged by generation, then within that, each direct ancestor has a folder with subfolders for their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Yes, it takes up a lot of disk space, but I have lots of that and it works for me.

Boo

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 00:36 BST (UK) »
I have a sleeve in each family folder with physical letters from correspondents, some from 20 to 30 years ago. I rarely write letters these days, but keep email contacts in a notebook, and print off any interesting emails. These I add to the appropriate sleeve.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
Writing a book, keeping records? I use - http://www.azzcardfile.net/

It's a very handy tool! Try it for free with a nag message and buy a licence later.
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
I have a folder within my Inbox, where mails from contacts are filed by the family surname by which we may be connected.

I have on more than one occasion gone back over these and found extensive correspondence with various people covering many subjects, including a lot of research I've done myself, which I have now COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT.

>:( ??? ::) :o
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 22:26 BST (UK) »
The only problem with that, IgorStrav, is when you get a computer meltdown, or virus. That happened to me on more than one occasion. Now I print off the emails I want to keep.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 July 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
The only problem with that, IgorStrav, is when you get a computer meltdown, or virus. That happened to me on more than one occasion. Now I print off the emails I want to keep.

backed up to the Cloud.....
but sensible advice, Pinefamily.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
I copy and paste useful research related e-mails to Word documents. I print and add to files the more important ones. The most important ones being memories or stories about family members. Not always an accurate source but interesting and worth thinking about. They can put flesh on the bones so to speak.

Blue