Author Topic: 1584 Will  (Read 440 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1584 Will
« on: Tuesday 09 July 19 20:29 BST (UK) »
I've had a go a transcribing the attached will but wonder if anyone can fill in some of the missing words?  I gather his wife was prohibited from remarrying?

In the name of God amen the tenth day of march in the year of our Lord God fifteen hundred and eighty two.  I Roger Waddington of Haynworth in the parish of Bingley and countie of York being of good mynd and ? remberance yet being ill make this my last will and testament in mannor and form following that it  ? ? my soul to almighty god ? ? to be paid by my ? and ? of ? and the mannor and to be buried ? ? of Bingley  I will that Elizabeth my wife ? after my decease all that ? marriage and ? ? of years as yet to ? and ? in the ? ? ? that ? the said Elizabeth ? wife  ? ? and marriage sometime do make and be ? ? all his children ? ? ? and ? ? ?  ?? ? ? ? of ? my said wife to ? dye  ? his self before his said tenament be divided  ? his will was that Walter Waddington his eldest son should have the remainder of the said ? in the said messuage or tenament to be ? as then ? so the said Walter being ? ? ? ? give ? ? ? ? and ? ? ? ? ? and make Elizabeth his wife he sole and ? ? of his lat will and testament these being witness John Williams John Waddington and William Hall

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1584 Will
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
[in the margin]
Test(amentu)m Rogeri Waddington nup(er) def(uncti)
The will of Roger Waddington recently deceased

In the name of god Amen the tenthe daye of marche in the year of our lord god a thousand fyve hundrethe fourescore and

two [10 March 1582]  I Roger Waddington of haynworthe w(i)thin the p(ar)ishe of Bingley and countie of yorke beinge of good mynd

and p(er)fect remembrance god be praysed dyd make this his last will and testament in man(er) and forme followinge  ffirst

he dyd bequiethe his soule to almyghtie god his creator trustinge to be saved by the deathe and passion of Christe

Jesus his onelie saviour and his bodie to be buried w(i)thin the p(ar)ishe churche yeard of Byngley  It(e)m his will was

that Elizabethe his wyfe should have after his deathe all that his messuage and tenement w(i)th other the

p(re)miss(es) in haynworthe wherin he dyd dwell duringe all suche yeares and terme of yeares as yet to come and unexpred

in the p(re)misses in considerac(i)on that she the said Elizabeth should upon his owne Costes and Charges honestlie educate

and bringe upe all his children duringe their minoritie and mene aige w(i)th meat drink clothe  Provided that yf

yt fortune my said wyfe to marie dye or dep(ar)te this lyfe before his said yeares and termes in the said tenement be expired

then his will was that Walter Waddingtone his eldest son(n)e should have the remeander of the said yeares in the

said messuages or tenement w(i)th thappurtenances as then unexpired he the said walter bringinge upe his said Children

duringe their minoritie w(i)th meat drink and Clothinge  Last of all he dyd constitute and make Elizabethe his wyfe

the sole and onelie executrix of this his Last will and testament  Thes beinge Witnesses John Wilkinsone

John Waddington and Will(ia)m hall  Et sexto die mens(is) Maij Anno d(omi)ini mill(es)imo qui(n)gen(tesi)mo octogesimo quarto decanus

de Craven certificavit de app(ro)bac(i)one h(uius)mo(d)i test(ament)i p(er) duos ultimos testes suprano(m)i(n)at(os) iurat(os) &c Com(m)issaq(ue) fuit adm(in)istrac(i)o

bonoru(m) eiusd(em) execut(rici) in d(i)c(t)o test(ament)o no(m)i(n)at(e) &c  Salvo iure cuiuscu(m)q(ue)

(And on the 6th day of May in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred eighty-four the Dean of Craven certified the approval of this will through the above-named last two witnesses etc., and administration of the goods of the same was granted to the executrix named in the said will etc., saving the rights of whomsoever)

There is no prohibition on his wife remarrying, but if she does (or if she were to die), the remainder of the unexpired lease on his premises at Hainworth goes instead to his eldest son Walter, who must also take responsibility for the care and education of the testator’s other children.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
all his children duringe their minoritie and mene aige w(i)th meat drink clothe

Just beat me to it Bookbox!

Just to say where you have 'mene aige', I've got 'noneage'.
I have seen this before in wills - ie, they are 'not of age'.
Just a repeat of minority really.

I also saw 'minirite' instead of 'minorite'.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:25 BST (UK) »
‘Noneage’ is a good suggestion. I think it is written none aige.

Not sure about miniritie. I think I would tend towards a faint, incomplete o rather than i, but the sense is clear enough.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:39 BST (UK) »

Not sure about miniritie. I think I would tend towards a faint, incomplete o rather than i, but the sense is clear enough.

I'd agree with you in the second instance of 'minoritie' - you can just about see the faint 'o'. I still think that middle vowel is an 'i' in the first instance of the word - you can see the 'dot' above it.
As you say, the sense is clear enough.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  I think I may have got thre in the end (or most of it) but it would have taken a good few days! and I am out of practice. Very much appreciated