Author Topic: A quick Question.  (Read 2005 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: A quick Question.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 July 19 02:06 BST (UK) »
Gordon and John's certificates ordered.  PDF should arrive 18 July.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 July 19 07:00 BST (UK) »
Sounds like the best approach. It will be interesting to see what they tell you.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
PDF's have arrived
No 169 Twenty Seventh September 1912 Drill Hall House Ce?n Coed RD
John Kennard  Boy
Father Thomas John Biddiss
Mother Maud Mildred Biddiss formerly Kennard
Thomas was a Sergeant Instructor (Territorials )
Registered by Father
Registered on 7 October 1912
Signature of Register
T.W. Powell
Baptismal name if added after Registration of Birth. Gordon Kennard

The 2nd Certificate is exactly the same.

So i found John no more looking
Thank you for all your help
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
so there weren't twins?  it was always just one baby?

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 23:00 BST (UK) »
Just the one baby named John Kennard  but when baptised was given the name Gordon Kennard.
As the second one is the same it looks like there was no re registration in his new name.

Maybe dad wanted the name John and Mum said No.

Carol

and many more.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 23:15 BST (UK) »
Not very happy with GRO as they could have emailed me and told me both Certificates were the same. Then i would have only paid for one.
Have to go out today but may email them when i get home later tonight.

Carol

and many more.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 July 19 02:01 BST (UK) »
I had a similar situation recently.
The only entry in the new GRO index was for a child called Jane, though it 'was' marked as an occasional copy A which indicated there was some sort of amendment on it.
The old index had two registrations one for a Jane and one for a Frances - and this child was baptised as Frances and was Frances on every other record (census returns, marriage and death).

I emailed the local registrar, explained, and asked if they could tell me if there was any indication of another first name , possibly a baptismal name, of Frances in the register.
Luckily they were kind enough to take the time to look and reply and confirmed that both names were on the one entry.
I do now have the .pdf and the registered name is shown as Jane and Frances is in the col marked 'Baptismal name if added after registration'

I can only assume, that because, in my case, the baptism took place a month after the end of the registration quarter,  the full quarters copy register had already been sent to the GRO - hence the note about it being an 'occasional copy A'
In your case as John/Gordon was baptised within the same quarter it perhaps was in time to have the baptismal name added before the copy register was forwarded to the GRO - hence no mention of 'occasional copy', so no clue to alert you :-(

It would appear that the old GRO index treated cases like this as two separate entries in the index (probably shouldn't have as it was actually only one 'registered name' and a later baptismal name) but the new one just records what is in the registered name column on an entry.

Technically I suppose the new index is correct, but it is a shame if it means people need to pay twice to be sure. There are a lot of errors/ missing entries in the new index so we do have to check both the old and the new.

I've just looked, the most recent England and Wales birth cert I have in my files is from 1980 - and that col (though it was a row by then) about name given after registration was still on the certificate.

I wonder how many people have paid twice over the years to unravel such a puzzle.

Boo

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 July 19 05:39 BST (UK) »
There was no indication that it was one person. Free BMD had both of them  listed so i looked at the scan which showed both entries.
Will go into free BMD and add a postem  so that future searchers  will  know about the name change.

Carol

and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 July 19 06:36 BST (UK) »
PDF's have arrived
No 169 Twenty Seventh September 1912 Drill Hall House Ce?n Coed RD
John Kennard  Boy
Father Thomas John Biddiss
Mother Maud Mildred Biddiss formerly Kennard
Thomas was a Sergeant Instructor (Territorials )
Registered by Father
Registered on 7 October 1912
Signature of Register
T.W. Powell
Baptismal name if added after Registration of Birth. Gordon Kennard

The 2nd Certificate is exactly the same.

So i found John no more looking
Thank you for all your help
Carol

The place is Cefn Coed:

"No 169 Twenty Seventh September 1912 Drill Hall House CeFn Coed RD"

http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/cefn_coed.htm
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.