Author Topic: A quick Question.  (Read 2003 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
A quick Question.
« on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:06 BST (UK) »
I have twins in my family Born 27/9/1912  Registered 17/10/1912 only one baptized 13/12/1912. Both born in Wales.
Only one twin in family photo's taken in Wales.
When they came to NZ in 1921 only one twin came. Only one twin mentioned on headstone of Mum (1924 NZ).
If i ordered the full birth certificate of the missing twin would this tell me if he was adopted?
At this stage all i need is a yes or no to my question. This will either be a dead end or a new beginning.
Many Thanks for your time

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A quick Question.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:08 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for an infant death? That is probably more likely than an adoption. An adoption in 1912 is prior to the introduction of legislation requiring documentation.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:14 BST (UK) »
Yes have looked for death and no death found
Just one of my post's on the subject
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=35606.msg138991#msg138991

Thank you for your time

Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
Carol -every child will have their own bc.  You only really know if you are dealing with a twin if a time is recorded on the bc.  Even if one was 'adopted' (which technically couldn't happen before 1927) there will not be any notation on the 'other' certificate. After 1927 there would be something marked on the cert.

Personally, I would search the deaths again using a fuzzy or variant.  I bet there has been some sort of spelling anomaly in the index.

My other suggestion, given there was no formal adoption in 1912 was the one child was 'given' to a deserving couple.

Your simple answer would be 'no'

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:51 BST (UK) »
I have just searched GRO looking for a Death up to 1921. I will go back and use different search methods and will not stop at 1921.
Thanks for your time.

Carol

and many more.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp

GRO only shows a birth reference for John, although Free BMD shows both boys’ names.

I think that twins’ certificates show a birth time. Do you have Gordon’s certificate?
It seems unlikely but I wonder if it is an error and there was only one birth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 00:14 BST (UK) »
No i do not have Gordon's birth cert. When we put Gordon into a Rest home in the 90's he gave us John's short certificate. This was the first time we knew of a John. We asked who John was and were told it was a friend of his back in Wales when he was little. No one in the family had heard of John and no one left to ask.

May order Gordon's cert this week and get John's next week and see what information can be gleaned from then.

Maybe it was only one birth and a name change.

Thank you

Carol

and many more.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 July 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
I'd suggest emailing the local registrar. Explain the problem and ask if they have two entries and, if so, is the second an amendment (possibly a name change) to the first or is it two children? If these boys were twins the register entries will be consecutive.

NB, they are only allowed to confirm or deny the info you give them, they are not permitted to give you any new info - for that you have to purchase the certificate.

Boo

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 July 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
As i live in New Zealand i have decided to buy both certificates. That way i will get my answers as soon as they arrive.
I will order them later today.

Carol
P.S Will let you know when i get them

and many more.