Author Topic: George Smailes/Mary Andrews marriage and George Smailes death  (Read 727 times)

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Seize the day - after breakfast
    • View Profile
George Smailes/Mary Andrews marriage and George Smailes death
« on: Wednesday 10 July 19 06:50 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandmother, Mary Dinham ANDREWS, from Taunton, Somerset, appeared on the 1871 census with her family in Taunton, and about a year later she gave birth to a daughter, Annie. The next sighting of her is on 5th May 1877, when she gave birth to another daughter, Elizabeth Jane SMAILES, at 73 Bede St, Westoe, Durham. Details on Elizabeth's birth certificate are: father, George SMAILES, Army Pensioner, and mother, Mary SMAILES, formerly Andrews. Then by the 1881 census she's back home in Taunton, living with her parents and family, including her two daughters, and she's described as a widow.
I have been unable to find any marriage certificate (which may just indicate she didn't marry George), nor can I be sure about George's death, given that I have no age to go on. There are a couple of possibilities but they could be stabs in the dark. Was George from Somerset or Durham or neither? How old was he? How on earth did a woman from Somerset understand what was being said in Durham? [Joke.] If there's no marriage then perhaps there was no death and Mary just decided to head home to sunnier climes. Any advice would be appreciated. btw Smailes also crops up as Smales on census forms.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Smailes/Mary Andrews marriage and George Smailes death
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
GRO births

SMAILES, Elizabeth Jane    mms.     ANDREWS 
1877  JunQ     South Shields  Vol 10A  Pg 802

SMAILES, Sarah                mms.       ANDREWS 
1879  JunQ     South Shields  Vol 10A  Pg 792

GRO death
SMAILES, Sarah   age      0 
1879  JunQ      South Shields  Vol 10A  Pg 395

Census 1881 @ 14 Queen St Taunton Somerset
ANDREWS Jeremiah     head   60 blacksmith                              b. Nth Curry Somerset
ANDREWS Elizabeth     wife    64 laundress and shopkeeper        b. Nth Curry Somerset
SMAILES Mary             dau     32                                               b. Taunton Somerset
ANDREWS Elizabeth     dau     21 um.  dressmaker                     b. Taunton Somerset
ANDREWS Louisa         dau     16 um.  unemployed                     b. Taunton Somerset
ANDREWS Annie          dau       9         scholar                            b. Taunton Somerset
SMAILES Elizabeth       gdau     4                                                b. Durham Tyne Dock

This Annie ANDREWS, aged 9,  might not be daughter to Mary SMAILES. While not likely a daughter to Jeremiah, and 64 year old Elizabeth, this Annie might be their grand daughter, but not born to Mary.

Have you located a birth for Annie ANDREWS born ~ 1872 Taunton Somerset.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 July 19 08:23 BST (UK) »
Here is a possibility for George....
George Smailes, b1833 Wooler Northumberland, Private in 75th Regt of Foot, attested 1 Jan 1859 aged 26, previous service in Coldstream Guards from 1856, by trade a servant, discharged in Dublin aged 42, intended residence in Newcastle upon Tyne.

And a George Smailes, 46, buried 3 May 1879, Southwick Durham.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
GRO births

SMAILES, Elizabeth Jane    mms.     ANDREWS 
1877  JunQ     South Shields  Vol 10A  Pg 802

SMAILES, Sarah                mms.       ANDREWS 
1879  JunQ     South Shields  Vol 10A  Pg 792

GRO death
SMAILES, Sarah   age      0 
1879  JunQ      South Shields  Vol 10A  Pg 395
[snip]
This Annie ANDREWS, aged 9,  might not be daughter to Mary SMAILES. While not likely a daughter to Jeremiah, and 64 year old Elizabeth, this Annie might be their grand daughter, but not born to Mary.

Have you located a birth for Annie ANDREWS born ~ 1872 Taunton Somerset.
Thank you very much for the information on Sarah Smailes. So it looks like Mary lost both husband and new baby daughter in a very short time. That warrants further investigation.

As for Annie Andrews, I'm pretty certain that she's the Ann Forward Andrews registered in the June quarter 1872 in Taunton. I'll have to get the birth certificate to confirm her mother's name. On the 1891 census Mary and her third fellow, my greatgrandfather William Evans, are living at Kestercombe Cottage, Kingston St Mary, Somerset, with 'daughters' Annie Andrews & Elizabeth Smailes, and the children of William and Mary.

Thank you again for your help.

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 July 19 23:49 BST (UK) »
Here is a possibility for George....
[snip]
Jo  :)
That's great! Thank you! It certainly sounds like my George. Now to confirm it.