Author Topic: Robert White - Scissor Grinder  (Read 10218 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert White - Scissor Grinder
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 August 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
 Friday 29 December 1939
  Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire 

James Wesseldine. of 29, Cyril-avenue, Bobbers Mill, Nottingham, the driver of the lorry, said he had left the vehicle in Mainstreet, Lowdham ...

Saturday 07 September 1935
 Nottingham Evening Post
  Nottinghamshire 

A ZIG-ZAGGING MOTOR CAR. LICENCE SUSPENDED. At Ashby-de-la-Zouch Police Court to-day, Sonny Wesseldine, a showman, of Nottingham, was fined £5, and was disqualified for six months, for dangerously driving a car

Thursday 08 July 1920
 Leicester Daily Post
  Leicestershire 

SHEPSHED. Baby's Sudden Death.—An inquest was held on Tuesday concerning the death of Alice Beatrice Wesseldine, aged six weeks, the child of John Wesseldine, a travelling showman. The infant appeared in good health 

Friday 26 January 1917
  Mansfield Reporter
  Nottinghamshire 

THE LIGHTS OF CHRISTMAS NIGHT SUTTON SHOW PEOPLE SUMMONED, Several prosecutions for breaches of the Lighting Order, against amusement caterers, from Sutton-in-Aslifield, came before the magistrates at Mansfield yesterday. All the defendants have standings on the fair ground belonging to Mr. Beeley. The first defendant was Alfred Cox, who was charged with an offence on the night of the 25th ult.   A fine of 10s. 6d. was imposed. A like penalty was imposed upon Fredk. Turner, the owner of a dart stall, who, on the same evening,. had a large unshaded flare lamp burning on his stall. Wm. Barker, who had a hoop-la stall in the centre of the ground, and also two lamps giving a strong light also on the night of December 25th, was fined 10s. 6d. George Wesseldine. the owner of a cocoanut stall, which ,had two large flare lamps lighted and improperly shaded, was fined 10s. 6d., as was also Wm. Martin. who had two unshaded flare lights showing from a skittle stall. Fines of 7s. 6d. each were also imposed upon Richard Bell, doll stall holder, and Harriet West, who had a shooting stall. Both defendants. it was stated by Sergt. Wakefield. were using large unshaded lights... ... ......

Friday 29 January 1904
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

Cornelius Wesseldine, aged 66. At the County Asylum, Lincoln, the 20th inst

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 August 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
Saturday 25 March 1899
 Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

—Thomas Wesseldine, donkey proprietor, Nottingham, was also summoued for allowing seven asses and four horses to stray on the highway, at the ...

Friday 05 October 1894
 Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire 

GRIMSBY BOROUGH POLICE
  Fighting.— John Trusswett and William Wesseldine, labourers, were charged with obstructing the highway in King ward-street, on Sept. 22, by fighting

Friday 12 August 1892
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

LINCOLN CITY POLICE
  Bad Language.—Elizabeth Wesseldine, married, of 13, Mint-lane, was summoned, on the information of P.c. Swaby, for using obscene and abusive language, in Mint-lane ...

Saturday 21 March 1891
  Boston Guardian
 Lincolnshire 

Digger’s’ Twenty-First Conviction.— Wm. Wesseldins was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in South street. Horncastle, on the 3rd March. Defendant did not appear.—P.c .

Saturday 17 May 1890
  Boston Guardian
  Lincolnshire 

HORNCASTLE PETTY SESSIONS
  “Digger's” Twentieth Conviction.— William Wesseldine, alias “Digger.'; was summoned for being drunk and disorderly in Hopton-street. Horncaslle, on the 30th April. —Defendant ...

Wednesday 10 April 1889
  Derby Daily Telegraph
  Derbyshire 

DERBYSHIRE QUARTER SESSIONS
... STEALING. Levi Sheriff, alias Levy Sheriff (30), grinder, pleaded guilty to stealing a horse, value £6, the property of George Wesseldine, at Ripley, on March 14. 1889.— He also pleaded guilty to stealing a horse, value £l2, the property of John Roe and Son, at ...

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 August 19 13:07 BST (UK) »
Friday 27 May 1887
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire

LIFE IN 'LINCOLNSHIRE IN THE OLDLN TIME
 —Elizabeth Wesseldine, wife of Corney Wesseldine, was summoned for using obscene language, in the public streets, on May 14th. P.c. Hewson proved the case. ...

Friday 03 September 1886
 Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire

This was his second offence in twelve months. —Wm. Wesseldine, of Caistor, rag and bone collector, for being drunk on licensed premises on the 25th inst. (second offence within a year) ...

Saturday 16 February 1884
  Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

GRANTHAM BOROUGH POLICE,
  Geo. Wesseldine, hawker, Jobber's Arms, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Castlegate, on the 12th inst.— P.c. Summers said ...

Saturday 12 July 1884
 Grantham Journal
 Lincolnshire 

BELVOIR PETTY SESSIONS
... BELVOIR PETTY SESSIONS. Monday, July 7th. (Before the Revs. Canon Norman and W. H. E. Welby). Geo. Wesseldine, shooting-gallery proprietor, late of Eaton, was charged by Inspector Allen with being drunk and disorderly at Eaton, on the 24th June.—Defendant ...

Friday 29 August 1884
 Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

LINCOLN CITY POLICE
 Elizabeth Wesseldine was the woman summoned for disorderly behaviour.— P.c. Blood said the offence was committed on the previous Monday afternoon ...

Saturday 08 December 1883
 Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

GRANTHAM BOROUGH POLICE,
  Georoe Wesseldine, Jobbers Arms Yard, Castlegate, was charged with being drunk, in Castlegate, on Sunday, 26th Nov.—P.C. Jarman said on Sunday ...

Friday 12 May 1882
 Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

Cornelius Wesseldine and Charles Silvester, Horncastle, labourers, were charged by Geo. Bemrose, of Somersby, with stealing a quantity of snowdrops ...

Saturday 05 August 1882
  Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

Wesseldine. —At Cottesmore, on the 31stult., Mary Ann da. of Mr. George Wesseldine, aged 

Friday 27 August 1880
  Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire 
— Geo. Wesseldine, a vendor of toffy at village feasts, for allowing his two horses to stray at Skillington on the 28th ult., was fined 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 August 19 13:07 BST (UK) »
 Friday 28 November 1879
 Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire

George Wesseldine, a caterer tor juveniles at village feasts, for having a dog in his possession without a licence at Brant Broughton on the ...

Saturday 05 October 1878
  Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

Grantham Borough Police.—On Saturday last, before the Mayor, George Wesseldine, showman, was charged with being drunk and disorderly.—Sert. Lamb said at about half-past seven on Friday evening, he saw defeudant ...

Friday 04 October 1878
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire

LINCOLN COUNTY POLICE
  WELTON.— Cornelius Wesseldine, travelling gingerbread vendor, was summoned for having in his possession, Welton Feast, certain weights which were 

Saturday 16 November 1878
 Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

BELVOIR PETTY SESSIONS
... stallkeeper's ansistant, Chester, was charged by George Wesseldine, traveller and stall-keeper, Bottesford, with stealing from a van at Bottesford, on October 16th, the property of his master, George Wesseldine, Committed to Leicester prison for four mouths ...

Friday 20 April 1877
  Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire 

—William Wesseldine was brought up in custcdy charged with threatening to murder his wife. Ordered to pay the costs, 7s

Friday 23 April 1875
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

George Wesseldine, sen., dealer, and George Wesseldine. jun.. dealer, were charged with depasturing the highways in the parish of Coleby. on the 13th inst.

Saturday 16 May 1874
 Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

Nottingham. Wesseldine—Tyler.—At Bottesford, on Tuesday, May 11th, Mr. George Weseeldine, traveller, to Miss Harriett Tyler, of Wymeswold, Lei ...

Friday 09 October 1874
  Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire 

— Cornelius Wesseldine, of Horncastle, stallkeeper, for being drunk and riotous at the fair, on the 28th ult., was fined 19s. 6 d

Friday 16 June 1871
 Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire

POLICE NEWS
  — Cornelius Wesseldine, of Horncastle, was charged with refusing to have his eldest child vaccinated.' Fined 6d and £1 costs

Saturday 05 September 1868
  Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire

PREMISES, situate in Great Gouerby aforesaid, abutting on the Town Street towards the west, in the occupation of George Wesseldine and William Smith; also, piece of Garden Ground with the Stable thereon, situate in Chapel Street, in Great Gonerby aforesaid ...

Friday 01 October 1869
  Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire 

.. Horncastle Petty Sessions, Sept. 25, before J. H. Short, Moses Elmhirst, and C. F. M. Mundy, Esqs.— Cornelius Wesseldine, of Horucastle, was charged with stocking the fen road with two horses. Fined 1s., costs 9d

Saturday 20 February 1864
  Grantham Journal
  Lincolnshire 

POLICE INTELLIGENCE
 shouting and noise on the Grantham road, and met the defendant who was very drunk and excited, about 12 o'clock at night. Wesseldine frankly confessed his guilt, and was ordered to pay ss. fine and Hs. fid. costs. Join Elliott, a gipsey, who did not appear ...

Friday 14 February 1862
 Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

POLICE INTELLIGENCE
 Assaults.—  Harriet Wesseldine, wife of Cornelius Wesseldine, of Horncastle, higgler, summoned Sarah Sharman, wife ot Richard Sharman, of Horncastle, brickmaker, for ...

Friday 22 August 1856
  Stamford Mercury
  Lincolnshire 

Mr. Cornelius Wesseldine, to Miss Harriet wen. At Wragby, on the 2d inst., by the Rev. Fielder 

Friday 12 July 1844
  Lincolnshire Chronicle
  Lincolnshire 

prisoners. Martin Kearney, 22, was charged with having, on the 26th of April, stolen some coppers from the person of George Wesseldine, in the fair-yard. The prosecutor had the misfortune to have his stall thrown over in the fair-yard, and during the disturhancc ...

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 August 19 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all these articles, I'll write them all up...
Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 September 22 01:56 BST (UK) »
My father was born in Lincoln in 1923, the father named on his cert is John Townsend who certainly lived with my grandmother from around 1919-1926. DNA has shown John Townsend isn't the father/my grandfather and points to a child or a grandchild of Cornelius and Harriet being my grandfather.

From what I can make out Cornelius was one of two Wesseldine brothers who married two Gowin sisters in Horncastle. Cornelius married Harriet and I'm getting matches to a niece of Harriet (via another sister), that also somehow links into the Wesseldine family.

I do know the Wesseldine family had a travelling circus and the circus became more of a travelling fair. As a double whammy my ethnicity is 55% Irish, mostly through my paternal side though other DNA matches through the Wesseldine  family rarely reach 5%. There's no documented Irish links anywhere on  my maternal side so that ethnicity figure doesn't make any sense unless I have more certs with wrong info and falsely named ancestors to contend with somewhere.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 November 22 02:15 GMT (UK) »
As an update, since my comment above Ancestry now suggests if DNA matches are paternal/maternal.  My link to the Wesseldine family is on my maternal side not the paternal side as originally suspected, this seems to make a bit more sense as my maternal ancestors were based around Wragby and later in Lincoln. I still have no idea of 'who and when'. The two lines certainly crash into each other and I have a number DNA matches on Ancestry that all trace back to Cornelius but haven't had much success when trying to contact matches.